hard lesson no. 300

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last year, I made many small batches of wine just to experiment with problems that I read of on these boards as well as the sister site. Stuck fermentations, acidity problems, more fruit, less fruit, etc. Tonight I pulled a bottle from storage from those experiments. Just outstanding given that it was only 8-10 months from yeast pitching. I also have absolutely zero idea what the wine is. Newbie somehow forgot to label this bottle. Hopefully, I got the label on the other bottles from this batch. Log, label, and follow as I have read a hundred times, but I really blew this one. Ouch.

Ain't it amazing?? Mix a little fruit, some sugar water and add some yeast. How can that possibly come out making something decent to drink? Doesn't work everytime, but does more often than not. Good luck with yours and have fun with it, Arne.

Log, label, and follow as I have read a hundred times, but I really blew this one. Ouch.

Log, Log, Log! I log everything. I have made up a "wine sheet" that I like better than anything that is currently available. I insert them into plastic envelopes and affix it to my ageing vessels. Every time I do something, I log it with the date.

At bottling time, the log is placed into a loose leaf binder and kept in a filing cabinet in my winery.

I do not like to label. Applying a label only means that I need to remove it later. What I did was to build a wine rack with "diamond shaped cubes" that hold 5 cases each. I then simple use 1 or 2 bottle tags to ID the wine in that cube.

41lr33AQFWL.jpg

When I pull a good one, and wonder what went right, I go to the log and review the process that I used.

I'm finding logging really pays off. I'm going to pickup a notebook and really get serious. So far I just log till I bottle, then I toss the notes I tape to the carboy.

I'm finding logging really pays off. I'm going to pickup a notebook and really get serious. So far I just log till I bottle, then I toss the notes I tape to the carboy.

I have an Excel spreadsheet that I use to log both the production process and tasting notes as the wine ages. I'm happy to share it if you're interested. Its nothing fancy, but does the trick.

I have an Excel spreadsheet that I use to log both the production process and tasting notes as the wine ages. I'm happy to share it if you're interested. Its nothing fancy, but does the trick.

Hi, Im new and making my first blackberry wine.
I have actually been logging all of my notes and experiences on a thread,
www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50635
I was wondering, if your willing to share, if you had anything on blackberry wine.
I would loveeee to see it! :db
Thanks!

Hi, Im new and making my first blackberry wine.
I have actually been logging all of my notes and experiences on a thread,
www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50635
I was wondering, if your willing to share, if you had anything on blackberry wine.
I would loveeee to see it! :db
Thanks!

I have a single sheet for each wine, as well as a summary sheet that I can use for quick searching on basic stats, filtering for certain things, etc. Samples are attached. If you'd like a copy of the Excel, PM me your email.

View attachment Wine Log Detail.pdf

View attachment Wine Log Summary.pdf

I have a single sheet for each wine, as well as a summary sheet that I can use for quick searching on basic stats, filtering for certain things, etc. Samples are attached. If you'd like a copy of the Excel, PM me your email.

thanks!
sooo professional!
I will do the same for my wines in the future ^^

Back