Hard Cider

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richmke

Reaction score
Started my first try at Hard Apple Cider. I got a gallon of frozen apple juice with no preservatives from Bayfield Apple Co when I was in Northern Wisconsin.

Added sugar (1/2 cup added to 1 gallon) - ABV of 1.051, or 7.l25% ABV
Pasteurized it (185 degrees for 45 minute),
Rehydrated a packet of EC1115 with 4 TBS of water (2 ounces), and added 1 TBS of that to the cooled juice.

I brought up the ABV to 7.25 %, so when I mix in 25% of unfermented apple cider, it will be about 5.6% ABV, and 1.005 SG sweetness.

Hopefully it is better than Crispin, or I'll give up making hard cider and just buy it at the store.

Why pasteurize the apple juice? Is it not pasteurized before it is sold. Here (in NY) apple juice is often UV pasteurized which means that it is not "cooked" ... Cooking will (IMO) both set pectins and evaporate off the flavor you may be seeking...

Why pasteurize the apple juice? Is it not pasteurized before it is sold. Here (in NY) apple juice is often UV pasteurized which means that it is not "cooked" ... Cooking will (IMO) both set pectins and evaporate off the flavor you may be seeking...

I didn't know what they did to it before selling it. It didn't say anything on the label. So, better safe than sorry.

supposedly, 185 degrees won't set the pectins. Yes, some apple aromas did come off during the heating.

Latest posts

Back