Other Hangovers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say that most people who complain of headaches after drinking wine may have other issues as well. Maybe they smoke which increases the headache, maybe they drink too much, I also don't feel that the majority have a sulfur allergy. Could be so many things since the chemistry of wine is so involved that it is impossible to determine without seeing a Dr. I now carry a medical alert card for my sulfur allergy.

I know it is true that people self diagnose. That often happens as a result of confusing sulfates, sulfur, sulfa (sonfonamides), and sulfites. I looked it up to see how these compounds were metabolized and how they were related and I found this article. Hopefully this will help differentiate one from the other. Most importantly, being sensitive to one compound doesn't mean you are sensitive to all of them.

Sulfa Allergy
Antibiotics such as Co-Trimoxazole, sold under the brand name Septrin; Sulfamethoxazole, brand-name Gantanol; and Trimethoprim-Sulfamethoxazole, brand name Bactrim; are classed as sulfonamides. These drugs may be used to treat bacterial infections of the digestive or reproductive tracts. They're effective for many people, but some people develop an immune system response to sulfonamides that produces an allergic reaction. The sufonamide bonds to human protein, producing large molecules that can cause you to break out in hives, or swelling of the lips and other mucous membranes, or even difficulty breathing.
Sulfa vs. Sulfites
Sulfonamides are not the same as sulfites such as sulfur dioxide or sulfate salts. These chemical compounds are sometimes used to preserve foods. Your body metabolizes sulfites and sulfates differently than it does sulfa drugs. Being allergic to sulfa drugs doesn't predispose you to a sulfite allergy and vice-versa. Your body conversts the sulfa compounds used as food preservatives to sulfur dioxide. People with asthma are particularly susceptible to bronchospasms when they're exposed to these preservatives.
Sulfa and Food
Sulfonamides are used in medications, not foods. If you have a sulfa allergy, you don't have to avoid any particular foods. Though some people with sulfa allergies may also be sensitive to sulfites in food, the two allergies are not relates. Inform your doctor and your pharmacist if you've been previously diagnosed with a sulfa allergy. If you experience a reaction such as this after taking any antibiotic or other medication, contact your doctor immediately and seek emergency help.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/475626-foods-to-avoid-for-a-sulfa-allergy/#ixzz2Bk5xu4DF

After experiencing the reaction that I had 2 years ago I will follow my Dr's recommendations. All I can say is before you self diagnose about allergic reactions see a Dr not the internet or a forum.

The one that consistently gets me is CC Showcase Amarone. My word - a glass or 2 of that and I am sloshed. I generally don't have a hangover the next day but I certainly can't drive and can barely talk. Gotta be careful with that one. The MM Impressions version doesn't seem to hit me like that.

Whats the alc. % on that??

Showcase Amarone

Whats the alc. % on that??

That's a good question. I was not keeping notes on my wines until earlier this year. According to FVW description, ABV will likely exceed 15%. I don't know if it is the alcohol level or just the way my body metabolizes this product but WOW - do I feel it!

After experiencing the reaction that I had 2 years ago I will follow my Dr's recommendations. All I can say is before you self diagnose about allergic reactions see a Dr not the internet or a forum.

Couldn't agree more and I hope my previous post was not misconstrued as an attempt to circumvent medical advice. I just know from previous experience that sulfa-sulfer-sulfites-sulfates are often confused. Just wanted to clarify.

It sounds like fusels. Did it ferment hotter than normal? Or is it higher in alcohol enough to stress the yeast?

Allergic reaction to amines is not hangover. People suffering from it have headache even if they had only one glass of red wine. But they can drink much more white wine without any consequences. My friend has it and he can drink 2 bottles of white or rose wine in evening and feel great next day.
Hangovers are caused by excessive alcohol consumption. And while different people have different reaction, the general rule is more alcohol - worse hangover. The headache attributed to hangover is caused by blood vessels dilation. Not everyone has it. I for one do not. The most common reaction to alcohol consumption is dehydration caused by increased urination. You often feel thirsty and lightheaded a morning after these are common symptoms of dehydration. Drink plenty of water before going to sleep and you will feel much better. The other reactions, such as immune system response (loss of appetite, concentration and memory), stomach irritation, drop in blood sugar (shakiness and weakness) are symptoms that you really drank TOO MUCH yesterday. You had better drink less next time.

Wookey

Technically you're correct, but when people don't know about amines, and drink wine and get a headache, they call it a hangover.

I also have a friend who reacts to amines, he can get a headache just by eating an aged cheese, such as cheddar or parmesan. No wine required.

Interesting, when we were in Italy, we could drink more wine, similar to what rocky explained, as soon as we came back to the US, some wines really gave us a headache. I cannot drink Carlo Rossi without getting a nasty headache, my wife buys it on occasion and it never fails to underwhelm me.

Back