gross lees and so fourth

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok I've got several wine attempts going on in different stages.
first let me set the stage, in the last 3 to 4 years I've spent more time I SICU an a short amount in ICU an step down, now that being said it lets you know the limited influence over my wine, at best I've managed to at least get my nephews off their computers for 5 to 10 seconds at a time to keep my airlocks filled, my available time has been dictated by when the ambulance finds me and SICU, ICU AND STEP DOWN lets me come home, in the last 3 years at the very least I've racked and air locked back off . I know this is not doing as you're supposed to, but this is the best I can do so far, my question is most every one of ya'll have forgotten more then I can ever hope to learn, is there any things that might help me out, I wish to make something I would enjoy to drink, is there things I can do different, different things to add and so forth. as I cant seem to control where my time is spent, even if I can not make good wine, I find wine making soothes my soul, but good or drinkable would be a big plus, I make fruit wines that grow on my land, I've had a couple batches that went 6 months before the first racking's,,, just any suggestions I will take to heart,, all I can do is try, but it's born in me that anything a person does deserves to be done right, it's like last week I did some racking then 2 days later my lungs were full of fluid an blood, I don't need anyone feeling sorry for me,, prayers are great but no pity, you see I do somethings every morning others don't, I awake to a new day,,, but with out proper time management m I just spinning my wheels,,
dawg:sm
ok I forgot to mention I have no palette I can not breath thru my mouth nor my noise, trek shut off 100%, I breath thru a tube in my throat, heck I don't know maybe i'm a total loose, but that don't mean i'm giving up,,, cause I aint about to give up,,,

Last edited:
Sorry to read about your condition. I hope you stabilize.

Some thoughts come to mind:
1) Do what you enjoy. If it doesn't turn out, who cares.
2) Try the Fastferment Conical fermentor. Keep the valve closed initially. After a few days, open the valve to let the lees settle. If you can't rack when you need to, maybe you can have someone turn the valve to close it. That separates it from the rest of the wine until you can get to it.

http://fastbrewing.com/products/fastferment

Sorry to read about your health issues hounddawg. Hope you are feeling better soon.

The good news is that wine will wait until you have time. It's a procrastinator's hobby, lucky for all of us.

Dawg,

Sorry to hear about your health issues. Your attitude is simply inspirational!

Although probably overly obvious, my advise is to keep thinking in terms of "Simple". Try to put thought into what would make things easier..

Picking, mashing, and juicing fruit could be handled by family or friends. I am sure you may know folks that would be more than willing to help in exchange for a share of the resulting wine. A good crew only needs to be shown once how to do things.

Double your efforts with your nephews. Show them the whole process. If interested, they could also take some of the burden off your hands. I have a number of nieces and nephews helping out. When they go to school and say "I made wine over the weekend" they win the coolest activity prize.

The last thing I will say is this. The minute you feel any stress when winemaking, QUIT! Your health is the most important thing. Who cares about a couple of gallons of wine when your health might be on the line?

My God bless and keep you!

Latest posts

Back