Greetings from Scandinavia

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arimus

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been browsing this site for some time and now decided to register.

I live in Southern Finland, and here wine making culture is practically non-existent. Almost all equipment and ingredients I have to order from UK or Netherlands and since wine kits mostly come from BC, it takes some time to get stuff delivered. One may think that it costs a lot, but alcohol, especially quality wine, is quite expensive here.

What I love most is pairing wine with food; create new recipes and blend my own wines. A dream hobby!

What I love most is pairing wine with food; create new recipes and blend my own wines. A dream hobby!

Welcome arimus,

Sounds like a wonderful plan!
I'm sure making your own wines there will be well worth your efforts.
Enjoy!

Welcome to the forum.
Well, maybe it is now up to YOU to start a new, active wine culture in your area!!! People just don't know what they are missing.
Good luck on your wine making

Welcome arimus, Sounds like you're on your way to making something good. What kind of wines have you made or do you plan on making? We look forward to hearing more from you and your ventures. Please ask any questions you might have and we'll do our best to help you out.

Welcome to the forum. Wish I knew an easier way to get you some equipment over there. Hopefully you can start a trend and get a few other options available to you.

Hi Arimus, welcome to the forum. I will trade you a bottle of wine for a bottle of Vodka! :)

It's a deal! But which one do you prefer? You see, I've got both kinds of Vodka: strong and EXTRA strong.

Welcome arimus, Sounds like you're on your way to making something good. What kind of wines have you made or do you plan on making? We look forward to hearing more from you and your ventures. Please ask any questions you might have and we'll do our best to help you out.

I am making wine on three fronts: country wines, kit wines and wine from my own grapes. Then I blend everything and :s

I grow berries like red, black, green and white currants, rasbperry, gooseberry. I am also thinking about sea-buckthorn (Hippophaë rhamnoides). In addition, there are wild berries that I use, the ones I like most being blueberry and cloudberry.

As for grapes, I cultivate Zilga, a Latvian variety with good frost resistance (-40C). I've been told that this variety is also cultivated in north midwest USA.

I am a small scale amateur. This hobby is just so rewarding and fun and it is possible to get good results without being a pro. Enthusiasm helps, though.

I've got some 40 gallons going at the moment. I use kit wines for food pairing, got some Brunello, Nero D'Avola, Chardonnay, Gewürtztraminer and fake-sauternes experiment (code-named Nuke Yukem).
And some sherry and damson wine and blueberry port and cloudberry sweet wine and...

I realize this is an old thread, but had to ask - did you ever make that sea buckthorn wine? It's becoming more available out here and I'm interested to see how yours turned out!

Back