Green apple Reisling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleLeroy

Reaction score
I bottled my green apple reisling a few weeks back. I had about a half of a bottle left over for a sample. When I tried it I thought that it was not as sweet as I remember. This past weekend we had a get together and I found out that each bottle has a differant sweetness to it. Either the f-pack just sat on the bottom and I did not stir it well enough or can the sugar being heavier sink to the bottom over time? I am sure it is my fault because I have made this type of kit before and never had this problem. So next time I will stir it a lot more and maybe rack it after the f-pack. Has any one else had this problem?

Jim

Do you have a drill mounted stirrer? They are really worth the few bucks if you dont for stirring it up really good in the beginning and the end.

wade said:
Do you have a drill mounted stirrer? They are really worth the few bucks if you dont for stirring it up really good in the beginning and the end.

Yes I have one but I just used the spoon for this job. I guess I did not relize that this could happen. I thought that the sugar would disolve thru out the whole carboy. Live and learn.

Use the drill mounted mixer, it takes a second more to sanitize and a second more to clean but you get things thoroughly mixed and thats worth it every time.

The spoon will work fine if you use it properly and a good benchmark on knowing you have stirred thoroughly with it is if it feels like your arm is gonna fall off then stir a couple more minutes then you are assured you have done a thorough job

Iusuallyrack to a bucket, add the fpack and finings, stir wellwith either a spoon or a drill-mounted paint-stirrer and rack back to the carboy and never had a problem. Ialways rack again after the wine clears before bottling. But I had a similar experience when I started making beer. I added the priming sugar and didn't stir well enough (I put the sugar-mixture in the bottling bucket and racked onto it so I didn't think I'd need to stir hardly at all) and ended up with some bottles that did not carbonate and some that were sickeningly sweet.

Latest posts

Back