Gravity wine extractor?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redmust

Junior
Reaction score
Hey there

I seem to recall someone using a hanging glass funnel shaped flask to seperate more wine from the sediment after racking. Also didn't someone else set up a homemade version? I did a couple searches but came up empty. I'm curious how it all worked out and how I can set it up. Anybody got a clue they could lend me?

The sun is finally starting to shine in the Pacific NW!

Here is the link to the post. Mike gives a picture of his setup on page two and then describes the process about 3 posts down. I just picked up the flask and stand on Amazon for under $100. I haven't used it yet, it just came today. Hope this helps.

I think it's called a separatory funnel. You can find them on eBay as well. I'd like to get one as well one day

I am the guy who made a homemade version of it. It works very well and reclaims several cups of wine with each racking.

Regardless of which version you use, make sure you filter out all the oak particles before you put the sediment and wine in the filter. If you don't, the filter will stop up and will not drain. This is only an issue one the first racking, when lots of heavy, thick gunk is at the bottom. Typically on subsequent rackings all you have on the bottom is very lite sediment

Because of the issue with the filter getting clogged, another idea is to find a glass container that is 3 inches or less in diameter and is like a tall tube with parallel walls. The thinner the better It needs to be able to hold a good portion of sediment and wine - 1.5 to 2 liters is good. The idea is to not siphone up any sediment at all, but let the filter take care of the bottom 1 to 2 liters.

The unfiltered bottom of the bucket or carboy can be poured into this tube, then a top placed on it to protect the wine until it settles. If this sets for about 24 hours, the sediment and oak particles will settle out, leaving a nice layer of wine on top of the settlings. This wine layer can be siphoned off.

The tube idea works best (for me) because it is very hard to keep the oak particles from clogging my homemade sep filter. (Maybe the pro sep filter is less likely to clog.) I have tried to pre-filter the sediment through a coffee filter and mesh filter, but if it has lots of oak particles, it stops up the both types of filters almost immediately.

I am still trying to find a filter that will hold back the oak, yet let the fine lees and wine through without getting stopped up. One needs some sort of hand-held wire strainer that one can shake if it gets stopped up. I have found such a strainer that I will try on my next batch; it is a 6-inch diameter tea strainer; the mesh is not so small... we will see. If it works, I'll go back to my homemade sep filter.

Thats a good price for a 2L funnel, even better than fleaBay and no waiting for an auction to end.

BTW, I have noticed that after awhile, the lees started to stick to the sides of the glass instead of sliding off easily and into your glass jar underneath. I was just rinsing with hot water and letting it air dry, then using some K-Meta to sanitize right before the next use.

Looks like you will need to wash it out with soap and water and a good bottle or carboy brush after every few uses at least in order to get the sides back to squeaky clean where the sediment won't want to stick to the walls of the glass.

Better wine making through chemistry!

Thanks for the tips and link to the original post. That will help a lot. I think I will try it out on my CC Showcase Pinot Gris I have waiting to start. Like you, I hate having to top off with over a bottle of commercial wine when using the Italian carboys.

This is what I was trying to find....thanks for the links. Beenhiking the wilderness and out of touch...
Dancerman, how did you make your version? I'm thinking I'd like to try the funnel version and I can see how the wood chips could pose a problem. Any tips on the building is gladly taken...

Latest posts

Back