Grape Wine Smells Like Death...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I respectfully disagree with Wade on this one. Unless I am reading this wrong, you are only three days into fermentation. Yeast nutrient is perfect at this stage. Energizers are more for borderline stuck fermentations because of lack of nutrients, etc. The yeast energizer also includes yeasdt hulls which can help get a stuck fermentation going again, but nutrient is what is needed for an active fermentation.

You are correct I'm in the 3rd day. It is working like crazy thats why the energizer doesnt make sense to me. As for the nutrients, is there one specific you would recommend?

Just go to the winemaker store and ask for some yeast nutrient. Most of them are a DAP base, which provides the extra needed nitrogen to keep the yeast happy.

Just because its fermenting good doesnt mean its getting what it needs. Think of it this way, if you ate a bunch of junk food everyday that didnt contain any vitamins or minerals how do you think your body would feel after awhile?

I would like to know and use yeast nutrients for dry wine making and can we use same yeast for both the wines(i.e. dry and sweet)? as, I dont know how much it is good in terms of proper fermentation.

Any yeast can be used for a sweet or dry wine. You always want to ferment the wine dry, stabilize the wine with sulfite and then sorbate to prevent the yeast from being ably to start fermentation all over again when adding some sugar back to make it sweet. The exceptions to this rule is if you are putting so much sugar in it that you are exhausting the yeast from too much alc. to the point where it cannot ferment anymore. The other exception is if you have the ability to cold crash your wine with either winter temps or a freezer to put the yeast into hibernation and then using a wine filter with a very very fine micron (.45 or less) filter as this is small enough to remove all the yeast from the wine leaving a sweet wine that cant ferment again as all the yeast is gone. I recommend using at lest nutrient in every batch of wine.

Don't add sulfites until fermentation has finished or the problem could get worse instead of better.

You are right and it is true that Sulfites should be added after fermentation. I did this for the very first time and then I got a problem with my wine.

Latest posts

Back