Cellar Craft Grape skins not floating to the top

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfmonk

Reaction score
I'm making a Cellar Craft Lodi Old Vine Zin with grape skins. Everything I read says that if you're using skins that you have to push the cap down. I've had mine in the primary fermenter for 2 days and so far the skins are staying at the bottom. Right not I only have the top setting on the fermenter with a towel around it. Is that why they're not floating to the top? Is that a problem?

Thanks,
Gary

No problem I am sure. Has fermentation actually started foaming and fizzing? As long as they are in the fermenter with the juice, I wouldn't worry about it. Give the whole thing a good stir and put the top back on as you have it now.

Thanks robie. I beleive fermentation is going on. When I stired it there was a lot of foam.

I assume you have the skins in a strainer bag and the bag's not floating to the top. Clearly, the skins will interact with the wine whether they're on the top or the bottom. I agree with Robie, but from a different point of view. If the skins aren't buoyant it could be because the wine wasn't stirred enough and there's too much water at the top. Make certain to stir it well.

Tony P.

The reason that the grape skins are not floating has to do with their specific gravity, which is greater than that of the wine at this point. The grapes are full of sugar and as this sugar begins to ferment, the SG of the grapes will decrese and they will float to the top. From what you wrote, I assume you have the grapes loose in the fermenter and not in a bag. The bags tend to float more readily because CO2 is trapped inside the bag making it more buoyant and forces it to the top.

I have them in a bag but they are starting to float to the top. The SG is 1.04 from a starting point of 1.09

Latest posts

Back