Grape Juice from Winery

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedPretzel

Reaction score
I mentioned in my Daylily post that I'm getting grape juice from a local winery here on the Northcoast....

Well, here they are!

Concord

2005-09-24_202413_concord.jpg

Niagara

2005-09-24_202454_niagara.jpg

6 gallons of each. Concord in 5 + 1.5 gallon (the old grampa at the winery didn't measure correctly!), and the niagara is closer to 6 than the other.

One's in a 6 gallon carboy, the other in a fiver.

Anyone else get fresh juice?

BTW, I had a little taste-testingwith my mom at the winery. Woohoo! Niagara won, hands down.

Can't wait for the Catawba!

Niagara is good if you like the Franconian "Auslese"... (German Wine, Rothenburg, o.d. Tauber, Franconia (Frankenwein)) Best wine I ever had in my life. And it was a sweet one.

Yea, but the thang is, Niagara is not a German wine, wholly American. Native roots even. Riesling is the grape of the German kabinett, auslese, etc. Niagara and Riesling do not taste similar.Edited by: Hippie

I know, I was just trying to make a comparison to the tastes of both. I am fully aware that both are different grapes.

I am sorry if I caused any confusion. I meant no harm. Edited by: MedPretzel

Martina,

I have not purchased any fresh juice yet but I bought some Fredonia must that they had just crushed as well as some Fredonia grapes a couple weeks ago at Presque Isle Wine Cellars to make some test batches using different yeasts. Those folks at PIWC are a trip. So far it is interesting the variations just yeast makes. I'll go next week and get some Stuben grapes as well as Traminette grapes. This wine making is just too much fun.

I noticed somewhere that you were in Europe for awhile. I was in Luxembourg for a year back in the early 70's (man I'm old) and most evenings at dinner I had a white wine called Elbling (I think...) I have not been able to find it anywhere. Are you familiar with this and do you know where it can be had? Short of an overseas shopping spree?

The following is from the website Wines of Germany, formerly known as the German Wine Information Bureau:<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Elbling

This ancient white variety (origin unknown) is an early-ripening, very prolific producer that makes light, piquant wines that often are used for sparkling wine, thanks to their high acidity. From the Middle Ages until the 19th century, it was widely planted in central and eastern Europe. German plantings today are centered in the Obermosel district, that portion of the Mosel-Saar-Ruwer that is adjacent to Luxembourg.

If you scroll down the page to German wines, there is a listing for Elbling. They are sold out but you might check to see if they expect any more.

http://www.is-wine.com/PRODUCTSwhite.html

For those of us who live in the Southeast Texas area, I had contact with
Texas Wines, located in the Spring (N. Houston) area asking about the
availability of grapes or grape juice.

Their response was pretty encouraging.

Peter,

Harvest has just ended. We buy a lot of our grapes. Some come from a
grower in Huntsville.
Please email next May, and we'll find out if that grower can sell you some.
We've also allowed home winemakers to come on a harvest day and help
out in exchange for some juice to take home to ferment. Thank you.

Jeanne

Their email address is

[email protected]

if you are interested.
Edited by: peterCooper

Of course at this point in time I don't know what types of grape they have
available.

Martina, when you got the fresh juice did they give you any figures such as acidity or Brix? The juice from Walkers tags each container with thes figs. Just currious.

Bill

Latest posts

Back