RJ Spagnols Grand Cru Petite Sirah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txlbbguy

Larry
Reaction score
My local home brew store has a Grand Cru Petite Sirah wine kit that I am thinking about purchasing. I know that the 10 liter kits are considered lower quility because of the smaller amount of grape juice concentrate. Has anyone purchased a Grand Cru kit and only rehydrated it to 5 gallons as opposed to 6? In theory is seems this would make a higher quality wine with better body...but than again that is in THEORY! Has anyone purchased a 10 liter kit and only added water up to 5 gallons instead of 6? And if you did, how did it turn out as opposed to adding the full amont of water up to 6 ?

I have seen this question posed on this and other forums (fora?) Anyway, the prevailing opinion is that these kits are "balanced" (acid, pH, etc.) and changing the recipe could lead to problems.

Personally, and this is only my opinion that I have not verified through experimentation, the major concern that I would have if starting such a kit to make 5 gallons rather than 6 would be the starting SG. If adding less water puts the potential ABV at too high a level, it could be a problem. That said, if it were I, I would make the kit up to the 5 gallon level, stir it well and take an SG reading and see where I was. I would not want it to be any higher than SG 1.100 (which fermented to dry would give a little over 14% ABV) and I would add more water in small amounts, stirring in completely and rechecking the SG. I would stop adding water when the SG drops to or just below 1.100.

Also, and just to give the wine some body, I would add a box of red raisins and some tannin in secondary. Depending on your taste for oak, you could also add it in both primary and secondary stages of fermentation.

I always wanted to try this but never have. Good luck.

I have seen this question posed on this and other forums (fora?) Anyway, the prevailing opinion is that these kits are "balanced" (acid, pH, etc.) and changing the recipe could lead to problems.

Personally, and this is only my opinion that I have not verified through experimentation, the major concern that I would have if starting such a kit to make 5 gallons rather than 6 would be the starting SG. If adding less water puts the potential ABV at too high a level, it could be a problem. That said, if it were I, I would make the kit up to the 5 gallon level, stir it well and take an SG reading and see where I was. I would not want it to be any higher than SG 1.100 (which fermented to dry would give a little over 14% ABV) and I would add more water in small amounts, stirring in completely and rechecking the SG. I would stop adding water when the SG drops to or just below 1.100.

Also, and just to give the wine some body, I would add a box of red raisins and some tannin in secondary. Depending on your taste for oak, you could also add it in both primary and secondary stages of fermentation.

I always wanted to try this but never have. Good luck.

Thanks Rocky! I think I will take your suggestions and prepare it as packed to make 6 gallons, but add the red raisins and some extra tannins in the secondary fermenter. May also add some bananas to give it that extra nice "feel" i the mouth. The kit is on sale, so I figure with those adjustments it really cant be too bad. Thanks so much!

Larry

That will work, Larry! I use the "Edisonian" method when I make wine and I learn a lot from experience. Best of luck. I am sure you will like it and you will learn.

Latest posts

Back