RJ Spagnols Grand Cru Intern.Col Cal White Zin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantor

Junior
Reaction score
Okay--I have made this white zin (I am new to this, but have had great success with a Johannesburg Riesling, Italian Barolo and beautiful Chardonnay. This is the 5th week for my White Zin and it is kind of a brown color. I am dissappointed because I figured it would be pink. I racked it again tonight and took a taste--it is pretty bitter and not really sweet at all. It is scheduled to be bottled, and it is pretty clear. Any tips or advice? Anyone else make this kit before? Thanks!

Okay--I have made this white zin (I am new to this, but have had great success with a Johannesburg Riesling, Italian Barolo and beautiful Chardonnay. This is the 5th week for my White Zin and it is kind of a brown color. I am dissappointed because I figured it would be pink. I racked it again tonight and took a taste--it is pretty bitter and not really sweet at all. It is scheduled to be bottled, and it is pretty clear. Any tips or advice? Anyone else make this kit before? Thanks!
Based on the colour, it sounds like the wine is oxidized. There is a date code on the variety sticker on the box. Did you write it down? Do you still have the box? It would be nice to know the date.

Steve

I agree with cpfan. It is either an old kit or you it got too much 02 to it? Did you keep this fully topped up?

First of all, welcome to the forum. perhaps you could go to the Introduction section and "introduce" yourself, tell us a little bit about yourself, what you have done in wine and what you hope to do.
I have made the GC white zin but not this GCI one, but regarding the color, a couple of possibilities - sometimes the carboy glass changes the color slightly, so that could be it. Another possibility is that the juice was oxidized if the kit was old - do you know the date code on the box?
Regarding sweetness, you will probably have to sweeten to your own taste by using a simple syrup (water & sugar) or a commercial sweetener. You would do this before bottling.

Sorry, got called away and didn't see cpfan & wade's replies.

Last edited:
Confession Time!

First of all, welcome to the forum. perhaps you could go to the Introduction section and "introduce" yourself, tell us a little bit about yourself, what you have done in wine and what you hope to do.
I have made the GC white zin but not this GCI one, but regarding the color, a couple of possibilities - sometimes the carboy glass changes the color slightly, so that could be it. Another possibility is that the juice was oxidized if the kit was old - do you know the date code on the box?
Regarding sweetness, you will probably have to sweeten to your own taste by using a simple syrup (water & sugar) or a commercial sweetener. You would do this before bottling.

Okay--As I said I am very new to wine making! I must confess what I believe happened now that I see the answers is that I started this wine when I had another in development and only had one air-lock. I decided that the main point of having he water filled air-lock was to keep fruit flies out. I simply placed a piece of cardboard over the vent on the carboy. I thought this would let a little air in, and keep the flies out. I realize now after reading that the oxygen needs to be regulated during the beginning fermentation. Please forgive my obvious ignorance--I am learning!

Now my question--is it too late? I read a link on this site after my first submission about an additive called Polylact that will help if the color is off and the taste is off.

I did not know how to attach that thread, but it is titled "3 year old wine kit=brown wine?"

I am happy to have the support--please let me know if it is too late to fix my wine!

Okay--As I said I am very new to wine making! I must confess what I believe happened now that I see the answers is that I started this wine when I had another in development and only had one air-lock. I decided that the main point of having he water filled air-lock was to keep fruit flies out. I simply placed a piece of cardboard over the vent on the carboy. I thought this would let a little air in, and keep the flies out. I realize now after reading that the oxygen needs to be regulated during the beginning fermentation. Please forgive my obvious ignorance--I am learning!
If this was during primary fermentaion (first 7-10 days) then it should not have been an issue. During the vigourous initial ferment a layer of CO2 forms above the must/wine isolating the wine from air/O2.

BTW, do you have the kit date?

Steve

I made the Grand Cru Zinfandel Blush kit...it too was a dry blush wine which I wasn't expecting so I back sweetened it with table sugar. It was really harsh when bottled but it has smoothed out quite a bit over 2 months in the bottle.

As far as it being brown I have nothing to add other than mine is a nice rose color, for comparisons sake.

cantor;96718Now my question--is it too late? I read a link on this site after my first submission about an additive called Polylact that will help if the color is off and the taste is off. /QUOTE said:
There is a product called Polyclar (which may be the same thing) which purportedly helps with oxidation. I have not used it so can't say whether or not it works, but if you can get some, try it on a sample of your wine - you have nothing to lose.

I made the Grand Cru Zinfandel Blush kit...it too was a dry blush wine which I wasn't expecting so I back sweetened it with table sugar. It was really harsh when bottled but it has smoothed out quite a bit over 2 months in the bottle.

I made the GC white zin and back sweetened also, but not enough as it turned out, so when I pour a glass of it now I add a bit of a sweet mist kit I have in a wine-on-tap dispenser and it makes a rather nice drink.

I just tasted a bottle of my RJS Grand Cru International Collection California White Zinfandel after 6 months of aging.

Color - pale orange color

sweetness - more dry than I expected for a white zin

This was my 1st kit and I think my process was sound. During the fermentation I tasted the must during stabilization. It had the fruity taste I associate with white zin. The suss reserve that was in the kit had the orange color and really changed the flavor of the must. There are commercial brands of white zin similar to this. It just doesn't turn out like the fruity, pink, blush that I was looking for.

Back