glass marbles in glass carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
head now hurts,,

ok,, listen fellers,, I've told you before I'm just a poor dumb country boy, with that being said I think i'll go with 3/4 flat marbles, the flutter effect should lessen the dreaded dink wince it smacks bottom,,, although I will be using a step down carboys in order to avoid any extra use of said marbiles,,,,,,,,,,, (pun intended) so from my 14 gallon ((room to bubble)) primary,,, i'll go to a 6.5 carboy to a 6 gallon carboy then a 5 gallon carboy, using 1 gallon an 1/2 gallon glass jugs for any extras,,, :I
I am very thankful for your time and knowledge

ok,, listen fellers,, I've told you before I'm just a poor dumb country boy, with that being said I think i'll go with 3/4 flat marbles, the flutter effect should lessen the dreaded dink wince it smacks bottom,,, although I will be using a step down carboys in order to avoid any extra use of said marbiles,,,,,,,,,,, (pun intended) so from my 14 gallon ((room to bubble)) primary,,, i'll go to a 6.5 carboy to a 6 gallon carboy then a 5 gallon carboy, using 1 gallon an 1/2 gallon glass jugs for any extras,,, :I
I am very thankful for your time and knowledge

I see what you're trying to do... No sooner do we settle the physics of spherical marbles through a viscus medium we now have to explain flat marble physics.
smilie.gif

I see what you're trying to do... No sooner do we settle the physics of spherical marbles through a viscus medium we now have to explain flat marble physics.
smilie.gif

dang-it bkisel I nearly wet my britches laughing,,,,,
btw how does that flat thingies thing work any-way,,lol

ok lets figure this pound of brick and pound of feather thing out once an for all, now to make this fair we'll grind the feathers in to one pound of feather dust, an grind the brick into one pound of brick dust, then ya'll can drop the pound of each dust from fifty foot on to my head an i'll let you know the deference,, now to answer any smartass questions upfront, no you can not bind the dust up tight, it's gotta be loose in order to get this right the first time round,,, :ft

It has more to do with velocity. E=1/2M*V^2. However, something else important to consider is that the pressure exerted on the carboy ( which is what determines if it will break or not, not the force) is equal to the force exerted over the area. So, one should also consider the the area of the marble which will be hitting the carboy.

Just yet another thing that needs to be factored in before it is finally decided if smaller or bigger marbles are truly better or worse.

It has more to do with velocity. E=1/2M*V^2. However, something else important to consider is that the pressure exerted on the carboy ( which is what determines if it will break or not, not the force) is equal to the force exerted over the area. So, one should also consider the the area of the marble which will be hitting the carboy.

Just yet another thing that needs to be factored in before it is finally decided if smaller or bigger marbles are truly better or worse.

Wouldn't we also have to consider the surface on which the carboy is sitting? All other things being equal would a carboy sitting on of lets say a thick feather pillow be less likely to break from a falling marble then a carboy sitting on a cannon ball? :)

Nah, one can make the safe assumption that the carboy is sitting on a relatively flat and hard surface pretty safely for the sake of this analysis.

I don't think the surface that the carboy sits on would actually matter a whole lot as far as dropping marbles into the carboy goes.

It has more to do with velocity. E=1/2M*V^2.

Seth, your comment is out of context. When it was asserted upthread that it had more to do with velocity, a specific situation was being referenced (a bb and a brick falling on to your toe). In that situation, the velocity is the same. So that is why Thig (and, implicitly, I) cited the importance of mass.

Of course, in the general situation, where both m and v are free to vary, yes, v is more important.

However, something else important to consider is that the pressure exerted on the carboy ( which is what determines if it will break or not, not the force) is equal to the force exerted over the area. So, one should also consider the the area of the marble which will be hitting the carboy.

Well, if you wish. The area of impact presumably varies as R^2. So, you can knock down my analysis by two factors of R, leaving R^5. For the 5/8" vs. 1" marble, that still means that a 1" marble is 10x worse.

:db OK NOW I UNDERSTAND,, THIS IS ALL TO BREAK ME FROM ASKING FURTHER QUESTIONS,, :sm
DANG YA'LL ARE MART:try
LOL

Seth, your comment is out of context. When it was asserted upthread that it had more to do with velocity, a specific situation was being referenced (a bb and a brick falling on to your toe). In that situation, the velocity is the same. So that is why Thig (and, implicitly, I) cited the importance of mass.

Of course, in the general situation, where both m and v are free to vary, yes, v is more important.

Well, if you wish. The area of impact presumably varies as R^2. So, you can knock down my analysis by two factors of R, leaving R^5. For the 5/8" vs. 1" marble, that still means that a 1" marble is 10x worse.

Yup yup, sound right to me. Context matters. I guess overall the real important question is how much safety margin one really has.

:db OK NOW I UNDERSTAND,, THIS IS ALL TO BREAK ME FROM ASKING FURTHER QUESTIONS,, :sm
DANG YA'LL ARE MART:try
LOL

No, no you're not the problem it is folks (not me of course) that should be spending more time making wine and less time on the computer. :c
smilie.gif

Wow. Had to step away for several days and this.

To think I used terms like thingie and flutter.....

:sh

Wow. Had to step away for several days and this.

To think I used terms like thingie and flutter.....

:sh

yup ,,, but I understood you,,,lol
the rest are punishing me I think,
this is why I never ask my younger brother about much,,,lol
2 phd's (1 engineering the other no clue) has seen to it he cant talk plain English no more,, flutter and thingie are totally understandable,,,,,,:br

Latest posts

Back