Glass Carboy Cleaning ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kpassa

Junior
Reaction score
I was reading tips on cleaning glass carboys and the most common chemicals used were Oxiclean and PBW. However when I looked up TSP to see about making a batch of homemade PBW it says Do not use on glass. I also read The Definitive Guide to Washing and Sanitizing Winemaking Equipment and the only thing he seems to recommend is Potassium metabisulfite. So what do most of you do to clean your glass carboys? Up until now I've only been using warm water followed by boiling water but when I went to use it this last time I noticed a white film on the bottom of the carboy.

First, never put hot water in a glass carboy. That's asking for trouble. Second, I use one step. It's a no rinse cleaner. I always rinse it with a kmeta solution and store them with a small amount of kmeta in them and sealed.

I also use one step. Rinse real well afterwards and store upside down in the box they came in.
Rinse real well with warm/hot water before using.

Never had a problem yet.

No soaps or BLEACHES!!!! First off, never let anything dry in there!!! Rinse thoroughly with hottest tap water you have. Rinse out with K-Meta at sanitizer strength (2 TBSP/gal distilled water). Store with @1 cup K-meta and cork it!! Slosh some fresh K-meta around when you prepare to use it again...

Yes, Start with warm water and use increasingly hotter water each time you rinse. This is to avoid thermal shock of the glass..

I simply use the liquid form of automatic dish washing detergent. It is designed to be food safe and also rinse clean. I add a squirt to a bucket of warm water, pour some into the carboy and shake. I also pour some over the outside of the carboy and scrub with a brush. I then rinse 3 times with increasingly hotter water.

Comes out spic and span!

Last edited:
Sulfite solution with drill attachment, followed by hot water rinse, followed by RO water rinse.

If you are feeling strong and you have some kind of stuff stuck inside, try the others, and with just a bit of hot water and rock salt shake and rattle the salt around. Takes some effort but will clean some stuck on debris that the brushes won't even get. Arne.

get the compact lees
out is the thing .. blast with garden hose till clean..
brush w/clorox & wash out good
add k-meta ..drain .and cover with foil..stor in origonal box..
when ready to use -wash good &use your favorite sterilizer
I use k-meta

PBW with drill mounted cleaning whip followed by 3-4 hot rinses then swish with star-san and dry upside down.

Yes, Start with warm water and use increasingly hotter water each time you rinse. This is to avoid thermal shock of the glass..

I simply use the liquid form of automatic dish washing detergent. It is designed to be food safe and also rinse clean. I add a squirt to a bucket of warm water, pour some into the carboy and shake. I also pour some over the outside of the carboy and scrub with a brush. I then rinse 3 times with increasingly hotter water.

Comes out spic and span!

This is the first I am hearing on using a liquid dishawasher detergent, cool think I will give this a try!
Spic and Span? I had no idea it was still around!

Steve

edit: could not get picture to load.

This is the first I am hearing on using a liquid dishawasher detergent, cool think I will give this a try!
Spic and Span? I had no idea it was still around!

Steve

edit: could not get picture to load.

Ask the question.. Would you wash your dishes in oxy-clean? If not, then why use it on your wine equipment?

I am sure using oxy-clean is fine, and the active agents in oxy-clean are probably the same as what is in the dishwasher detergent, but I have to think that the dishwasher detergent is designed to rinse clean and must have been safeguarded for use on dishes. It is meant to clean the things that come into contact with your food.

I have been using this stuff for years. If you simply take the most crud infested wine bottle you can get your hands on, add 2 or 3 drops of the liquid dishwasher detergent, then fill half way with HOT water, then give the bottle a good shake, you will see the crud just melt away. I then normally rinse the bottle 3 times in hot water just to be sure...

Why yes, I believe I would! LOL Oxyclean is GOOD stuff. Just sayin.

999999-05333523091.jpg

Ask the question.. Would you wash your dishes in oxy-clean? If not, then why use it on your wine equipment?

OH.. Oxyclean dishwasher detergent. It is probably the same as the dishwasher gel that I use then..

Is this the same as the laundry stuff?

Latest posts

Back