getting fresh juice for the first time need suggestions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you have a plan. Sulfite the grapes and juice together, when you mix them. The grapes should be fine in the car for a few hours after being crushed. They'll still be good and cold when you get home.

Are you only doing 1 lug? If so, just destem and crush by hand. Not worth paying $25, IMHO.

FYI, grapes were at 48*F when we got home and we took the long way (wife needs to work on navigation) as well as stopping for lunch in Hanover. About 3 hrs in a warm car. Juice is still below 40*F.

Lots of stems and leaves, assuming they only crush and not destem for the $25. Do I need to get most of those out when I bag them up in the strainer bags?

Boy those grapes are sweeter than I anticipated, would make a nice snack tonight.

Thanks,

Temps up into the low 60's. Kmeta added to the Pinot Grigio bucket, will pitch yeast tomorrow after lunch. pH 3.07 SG 1.092. Had Kmeta'd the Merlot & grapes earlier in the day, grapes added to strainer bags w/most stems/leaves removed. pH 3.48 SG 1.096. Will add Lallzyme tomorrow a.m., plan on pitching yeast later that evening. Will do TA's tomorrow a.m., too tired, been up since 4:30 am.

I have the juice home now and it will warm for a day. I plan on pitching yeast tomorrow afternoon. Because my cellar is currently 65 degrees and will be cooler at night, I am going to keep both the sauvignon blanc and merlot in a heated bath to keep them at about 73 or 74 degrees. I would like to do the blanc at a lower temp but I am afraid it will drop well down in the sixties and will hinder ferment.

I plan on adding 1/4 tsp of Kmeta before pitching yeast.

Because life has really gotten in the way of making this wine, I am going to have to leave it after fermenting 9 days. My plans are to ferment for 8 days and rack both into carboys. I will be away from it for another two weeks.

couple of real problems here in that I will not be able to stabilize after ferment is over. Also, I am thinking about putting the merlot thru MLF and will not be able to inoculate during the two week absence. I suppose I could inoculate for mlf before alcohol ferment is complete.

I plan of using accuvin strips to test if malic is complete.

Also, I will not be able to stabilize the blanc as soon as ferment is over. Do I risk the Blanc going into MLF? If it is in a carboy, with the kmeta will it be ok.

AS you can see, I don't know anything about wine making with fresh juice because I have never paid any attention to the discussions because I did not think I would ever get any fresh juice. Now that I can get it twice a year, I gotta learn with your help.

What can I do given these circumstances.

Thanks.

You can pitch the MLB at the same time as your yeast. If you do that way, don't add any kmeta at the beginning. That will streamline the process. If doing MLF, I would also wait to do acid adjustments until it's done.

I was planning on using some merlot skins that I got from a kit but the bucket is so full that it would overflow. I considered putting some in another ferment bucket but I said to hell with it. I will be adding tannin riche later anyhow.

I need to add some oak soon I guess.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back