Georgian (the Country) Wine History

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
O'Fallon, MO - Just NorthWest of St. Louis, MO
I stumbled across this somewhat interesting historical (8,000 years) of wine making history from the Country of Georgia.

Among the most interesting things I learned is white wine (really probably orange), is crushed, everything (skins, stems, seeds) goes into the ceramic vessel where it sits from harvest time (Sept. Oct) until springtime.
Reds are pulled off the skins soon after fermentation completes. Which is a longer ferment than most of us are accustomed to, since the ceramic vessel is buried in the ground.

I hope other enjoy this history and video as much as I did.

I stumbled across this somewhat interesting historical (8,000 years) of wine making history from the Country of Georgia.

Among the most interesting things I learned is white wine (really probably orange), is crushed, everything (skins, stems, seeds) goes into the ceramic vessel where it sits from harvest time (Sept. Oct) until springtime.
Reds are pulled off the skins soon after fermentation completes. Which is a longer ferment than most of us are accustomed to, since the ceramic vessel is buried in the ground.

I hope other enjoy this history and video as much as I did.

Very informativeđź‘Ť! Thanks for posting.

Latest posts

Back