Fruit Flies- Vinegar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davewaz

Reaction score
Ok, so I had lids loosely placed on my fermentation buckets when I left for work today. Upon getting home my cats seem to have knocked them off. When I looked into my buckets I found 2 dead fruit flies in one, and 3 dead in the other. Am I in trouble? I'm not done with ferment yet so I don't wanna add any k-meta or sorbate. Let me know what if anything you would do, thanks.

I had a few (10ish) fruit flies in one of my skeeter pees. I bottled it and it was gone in no time, tasted great. You will be fine. Someone with more experience than me will chime in.

Many years ago when we made lots of wine from grapes, there were hundreds of fruit flies around the wine and many "feet up" in the wine. They did not get into the bottling process so it was never a problem. They are somewhat beneficial because you get a trace amount of protein. Downside was, we could not drink the wine on Fridays! :)

Your fine. Can't say that for the cats. It's a vendetta with me and fruit flies. I use the vacuum, fly strip pulled out a few inches and resting on a lid, plus an ocassional glass with a small amount of wine in it with 1 drop of dish soap placed in the middle of the wine. Don't let it touch the sides. I keep them to a minimum.

That's what i do - i just put some wine in a cup - wrap saran wrap over it - poke a small hole in the center of it - and watch it fill up with fruit flies.

Those little boogers are just a fact of life. Amazing that they have such a high tolerance for alcohol but are so small. They can set at a bit of wine and suck on it for hours!

Fish'm out and keep truck'n!

Back