Frozen muscadines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes they will make a good wine. What kind are they?

actually, freezing them helps them to break down better. I have some going right now, it is a red muscadine and I think I got better color extraction out of them because they were frozen.

just let them thaw out to room temp, before you add yeast..at least i do..
yeast doesnt tolerate frozen anything.

Also, muscadines have a tough skin, I put mine in a 2 gallon bucket 3 or 4 cups at a time and mash them with a clean and sanitized wine bottle using the bottom,

James, I had no idea that you made muscadine.

You need to crush the grapes once they are thawed. Can you check acid level? Muscadines are strong enough in flavor that you can add water to dilute the acid. Acid is usually high in muscadines, add some pectic enzyme to help them break down. And I ferment on skins until sg is 1.000.

Noble and Carlos are my two favorites.

Love Muscadine wine. Still have no source for the grapes, so I'm forced to visit the local wine and spirits shop. Growing my own, and hope to have a crop in another 2 years.
Just ordered a case from Duplin in NC during their Cyber Monday sale. They have my favorite Muscadine wines.
Cracked open a bottle last night.

julie , i make muscadine and wild mustang grape wines...
both are readily available here and free...the wild muscadines are sweet as sugar and a very dark black...excellent.
i only got like 50 lbs of muscadines last year but about 300 mustang grapes..
at present I have a 5 gallon of each going, since may, the old way.
no yeast added, no pectin, nothing but sugar..they should be done this may.

Love Muscadine wine. Still have no source for the grapes, so I'm forced to visit the local wine and spirits shop. Growing my own, and hope to have a crop in another 2 years.
Just ordered a case from Duplin in NC during their Cyber Monday sale. They have my favorite Muscadine wines.
Cracked open a bottle last night.

Duplin's muscadine is pretty good. Mine is better. :try

Hmmm, Duplin is pretty hard to beat. Reds are my favorites. Whites are good too, but really sweet.
Maybe we need to get a Muscadine Competition going.....Julie, James, what do you think?
I'll be the head judge! :try

Hmmm, Duplin is pretty hard to beat. Reds are my favorites. Whites are good too, but really sweet.
Maybe we need to get a Muscadine Competition going.....Julie, James, what do you think?
I'll be the head judge! :try

I'm hording all mine. I got 12 bottles from last year left. But got 18.5 gallons in carboys :dg:dg

Latest posts

Back