Fresh Produce

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammyk

Reaction score
We were at our favorite fresh produce stand stocking up; we do this twice a week.
I mentioned to the owner that I never see fruit flies there and it is always so clean looking (why we keep returning).

I asked what his secret was for not a single fruit fly in his store. He had, for instance, a huge supply of both muscadine and scuppernog grapes in 2 different open display tables. $1.69 a pound, ouch! We did not buy any because we have our own.

He reached under the counter and pulled out a small dish of vinegar with a few drops of dish soap added.

At night when he goes home he told us he sets the dishes out all over the store!

How ironic if you read the fruit fly threads here.

SammyK, I would not put vinegar anywhere near my wine if that is what you are suggesting. I believe there was mention of vinegar as a repellant for fruit flies here on the forum a while back.

I would not use vinegar either! But what I do is,,,get an empty water bottle to that I put a little wine in there, not much but enough to drown those little buggers, to that I add a pinch of sugar and a few drops of dish soap. Place the bottle with the lid off in a plastic baggie. The fruit flies love a challange and "get" into the water bottle where they drown. Once it is full I put on the lid close up the plastic baggie and throw away.

Either works. In side by side tests the wine works a bit better for us.

I had always used wine, but with not so consistent results. Seems they are particular about what type of wine they feel like on a given day.
The vinegar/Dawn trick that was posted here a few weeks ago has been much better for me.

There would be no problem with distilled white vinegar. It's distilled - no acetobacter will be there so no contamination possible.

Latest posts

Back