freezing strawberrys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danr

Reaction score
I want to make strawberry wine and they are on sale!Gotta wait for a carboy to become available.Any tips onfreezing?
thanks,dan

We make primarily fruit wines. Regardless of flavor we always freeze our fruit before we begin. Fruits break down and juice far better this way. We will have anywhere from 30 to 100 pounds of fruit in the freezer at any time.

I want to make strawberry wine and they are on sale!Gotta wait for a carboy to become available.Any tips onfreezing?
thanks,dan

What ? No recycling center nearby? I have bought 4 carboys initially. Now all my carboys come from the recycling center - Most are not the standard US gallon (Carlo Rossi)which are apparently 4 litre bottle so a hair over 1 US gallon. The only possible disadvantage is that the Carlo Rossi bottles all have the slightly blue-green cast to them so a "White" or light colored wine will not show it's true color. A small problem for use of "Free" Carboys. I actually traded my store bought carboys to my wife to get more of the Rossi bottles. (She gets well water in them from a friend.) She wins I win. That little extra (about 7 oz) is a nice margin for bottling time and lets me have a little more to sample after bottling.

Last edited:
Back