freezing fresh fruit and berries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrawhide

Reaction score
It seems like most people freeze their fruit or berries for awhile instead of making wine right off the tree/bush. Is there a major reason for doing this as i generally make grape wine and not many others. But, would like to try some. Then I also see that some folks use a steam extractor, how come?

Thanx

rrawhide

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><t><tr><td align="center"> </td></tr><tr><td style="padding-top: 5px;" align="center"> </td></tr></t></table></span>

Mainly because we dont have crushers to do all the work needed so we rely on the freezing of the fruit to help us break the outer structure open along with a little help from our hands and it also helps break down the inner cellular walls so that the pectic enzyme can get in their better.

I steam juice simply because I can. And I do not have a freezer that is separate from my refrigerator, so I need the freezer for food (weird, huh? I actually require more than wine to survive) since the juice is kept in canning jars in the cupboard.

Back