Free Online Wine Log

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkcook

Reaction score
Hey All,

I found this neat site online and thought I'd share it with you. Not sure if this has been discussed before or if this is the correct area, but here goes.

The site is fermsoft Winemaking and Brewing Software http://www.fermsoft.com/log/login.php

They obviously sell software, but they offer a "Free" online log for tracking your winemaking. I transferred my notes to the log and it even tracks how many bottles you have of each type you make. You can print your notes as backup too.

Hope you find this as helpful as I have. I prefer typing my notes rather than trying to decipher my chicken scratch writing when trying to duplicate a wonderful wine.

Enjoy,

Pat

Yet another Wine Maker's Log...have to print it out and file the pages....have to fill in your sums and notes on this one in longhand 'chicken scratch'..
smiley1.gif

http://winepress.us/pdfs/winelog.pdf

HOW DO YOU ALL KEEP YOUR NOTES??? Would be interesting to know how everybody keeps track of their wine making recipes and sucesses....?Edited by: Northern Winos

NW,

In the beginning, I took very good notes in a spiral notebook. By the 4th or 5th batch, the book looked like it had been in a war zone! I am always on the computer, so when I found the above site, I tried it out. So far I haven't printed any of my notes from online. There is no storage limit, to my knowledge, on this site. I have a couple of friends from work interested in wine making and I can access this site from any computer and provide a detailed review of any of the batches. As I drink a bottle, I can adjust the count online and keep a tally on how much of each batch I have left. This works out for me, as I have to store my finished wine in plastic containers on storage shelves in the basement until I get a rack built.

I keep all my notes in a bound journal. When I start a new wine, I start on a new page and write down all the details. Whenever I do something to that wine, I make a note of the date, what I added (or did) and how. If anything is odd, I note that as well. Hopefully this will help with repeatability.

Bert uses log sheets that are slid into plastic protectors in a binder I bought him.
smiley23.gif
smiley32.gif

I don't usually take notes.
smiley8.gif

PolishWineP said:
Bert uses log sheets that are slid into plastic protectors in a binder I bought him.
smiley23.gif
smiley32.gif

I don't usually take notes.
smiley8.gif

Neither do I, but....I'm learning. It's very maddening for me to taste a great wine and have no notes for it.

MedPretzel <--- learning how to be organized - slowly, yet surely.
smiley2.gif
smiley36.gif

Neither do I, but....I'm learning. It's very maddening for me to taste a great wine and have no notes for it.

MedPretzel <--- learning how to be organized - slowly, yet surely.
smiley2.gif
smiley36.gif

Funny, that's exactly what Poor Bert said last night!
smiley36.gif

NW,

That is basically what I had in a spiral notebook until a spill made a mess of things
smiley19.gif

Now I transfer my recipe/notes to the online log as I go, and I can actually read my writing
smiley14.gif
. I have intended on printing all my notes and storing a paper copy in the event the web site closes.

The trick is putting notes "somewhere" to review when you want to duplicate that wonderful batch.

PKCOOK

I am glad you added in your last post that you made a paper copy -- I just read in the WSJ yesterday that some of the new proliferation of websites that offer to "store" your digital photos have in the fine print of the site's "terms and conditions" that if you don't purchase a product during a period of time, they delete your files.The article related the horrified stories of people whose family pics over a year or so, had been deleted. I have NO idea if this site is similar, but since they are trying to sell software, perhaps their terms are different. Hopefully, they don't have a similar policy.

No disclaimer that I can find. The Log will produce a printable report in either HTML, PDF, Microsoft Word, or OpenOffice Writer formats. I am in the process of developing my own Access Database to do the same thing from my own harddrive (safer that way from the possibilities like you mentioned).

Say, if you all want to log your wine recipes OnLine why don't you log them into this data base........
2006-02-03_170032_!cid_001b01c628b3$a4284f40$ef10ad42@maryd1ym9fkdzi.gif

Then people like me can get inspiration...some of my recipes are there...and they are so boreing...berry wine...berry wine...apple wine...I need some good recipes!!!!
2006-02-03_165927_!cid_001101c628b3$a425de40$ef10ad42@maryd1ym9fkdzi.gif

I keep a hand written log while the said batch is fermenting noting any alterations along the way, once the fermentation is complete I put all the info on to disc but print out a copy for quick reference which goes into a protective sleeve and then filed away in a binder.

smiley1.gif

Well, I keep a triple-log. One day, I resolve to be better about combining all my info, but lack of computers (ha! in a household that has 2 laptops, 1 desktop, and 2 servers - between 2 people and 3 cats) makes it practically impossible. I need a cheapo computer that runs XP and that can be exposed to heat/humidity and a bit of wine, in order for me to make the best of my log-entries.
smiley5.gif

Why triple? Well, some may remember my office is up in an attic room, whereas the wine cellar is exactly there: the basement (cellar sounds more "old world"). In the cellar, I have a wipe-off board that documents everything I do. If I remember to take it downstairs!! My "paper log" is my middle-man at the moment. I transfer what's on the wipe-off board to my paper log, and then I put it into my word file that's in my office. Yes, I know it would be easier to take the laptop downstairs and do it directly, but juggling the laptop and the camera at the same time is usually not something I want to do. Once my laptop is phased out (probably within this year), I will make it the wine-'puter and may even set up a cellar cam. (May not be a good thing with the cats there)

I'm still working on a better solution. Perhaps my hubby will hear my beckoning and make me an online wine-log.
smiley36.gif
smiley2.gif
He hasn't gotten the hint yet.Edited by: MedPretzel

Back