Fortifying wine with toasted caramel whiskey

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMK

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this? I'm making a "port" style wine and yes I understand what true ports are. I like the flavor of the whiskey and thought I would use it instead of brandy. Any thoughts?

I'm playing with a pear port right now and used E&J vs. I'm not much of a distilled alcohol drinker but the brandy sure tastes and feels like bourbon to me, I'd give it a shot if I were you. Let us know.
Mike

I have no experience, but sounds like a good idea to me. Thoughts? Yes, try a bench trial! All it will "cost" you is a glass of wine and some whiskey.

You can always oak your high alcohol to get some great flavor and then add it accordingly so you will gain the alcohol % and taste and not dilute the original flavor.

Okay, did few bench trials with a commercial Cab. Interesting taste, seem to make the tannins really pop in the mouth. The next experiment is to sweeten with a little white chocolate port. Needless to say I'm feeling good after a few trials. I love this hobby!

Latest posts

Back