forgot to use campden tablets?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbie2

Reaction score
Started some orange wine yesterday, adapted it from a lot of different recipes but none of them mentioned campden tablets, so kinda forgot!

Did I need to put them in before fermenting, is it too late now and seeing as none of the recipes had called for them are they strictly necessary?

Confused?

Too late if you have already added your yeast. It may not be necessary, it is supposed to kill off any wild yeast that are present so your yeast will dominate the fermentation. Most likely your yeast will overcome any other yeast that may be present.

You should be fine. I have made a few wines without using the campden (k-meta). They have all come out fine. I make sure it is added post ferment, tho. It helps your wine store better, makes it harder to oxodize. Good luck with it, Arne.

Don't add til the ferment is totally done. If you do, you will probably stun the yeast, maybe totally stop the ferment. Let it ferment dry, then add the campden when the ferment is totally done. Arne.

So I waiting till the ferment was done and added the campden tablets. I've now strained it into demijohns to settle. I had a little taste. It was VILE! Is that normal at this stage? The final reading was 992 and is about 10.5% alchohol.

Not sure what you mean by vile but at this point there is no sugar left in the wine, the yeast has eaten them all up, so it will probably not taste all the great. After it has cleared, take a glass and add a little sugar to see if that doesn't help it out and if you decided to backsweeten, remember to stabilize (adding k-meta and sorbate) before adding the sugar.

Latest posts

Back