WineXpert Forgot the Bentonite at Start- What now

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leanmach

Junior
Reaction score
So, I am ready to move to clearing stage on LE Shiraz/Cab and there is the bentonite pack staring me in the face. Suggestions/Help greatly appreciated!:?

What is the purpose of the bentonite and the impact of leaving it out?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I agree. If you're using Isinglass or other clearing agent no sense adding bentonite now.

Bentonite is a clearing agent, kits will give you this and isingglass to ensure that your wine clears. You really don't need it, it will clear, actually most wines will clear on their own, given enough time.

Bentonite does nothing to the flavor or complexity of the wine, it is just a method to have your wines clear quickly

Thanks all. Soon as I finish racking the Malbec I'm working on I'll move on to following your recommendations. Cheers!

All complete. Thanks again.

This last exercise gets me to another question. If I plan on bulk aging 3 -6 months on WE and RJ WS kits what additives can I leave out?

Leanmach:

Bentonite serves 2 purposes in a wine kit...

1) aids the yeast to circulate in the must by providing nucleation sites.
2) removes protein haze (this is the clearing part). Less necessary in reds than whites.

What can you leave out? Well lets thinks about the additives...

• Bentonite...you can leave it out, but I prefer not to.
  • oak, elderberries, elderflowers, raisins...personal preference.
  • Yeast...better NOT leave it out.
  • K-meta...not advisable to leave it out. If bulk aging you'll probably need to add more.
  • K-sorbate...can be left out if NOT sweetening the wine, and if practicing good sanitation
  • Other clearing agents (chitosan, kieselsol, isinglass, iso-clear, ...) long term aging will probably clear the wine, so these can be left out

Steve

All complete. Thanks again.

This last exercise gets me to another question. If I plan on bulk aging 3 -6 months on WE and RJ WS kits what additives can I leave out?

If bulk aging leave out the isinglass/clearing agents and as Steve mentioned if you're not backsweetening leave out the Sorbate

Leanmach:

Bentonite serves 2 purposes in a wine kit...

1) aids the yeast to circulate in the must by providing nucleation sites.
2) removes protein haze (this is the clearing part). Less necessary in reds than whites.

What can you leave out? Well lets thinks about the additives...

• Bentonite...you can leave it out, but I prefer not to.
  • oak, elderberries, elderflowers, raisins...personal preference.
  • Yeast...better NOT leave it out.
  • K-meta...not advisable to leave it out. If bulk aging you'll probably need to add more.
  • K-sorbate...can be left out if NOT sweetening the wine, and if practicing good sanitation
  • Other clearing agents (chitosan, kieselsol, isinglass, iso-clear, ...) long term aging will probably clear the wine, so these can be left out

Steve
Save me typing it

I have notices the lees are a lot more "fluffy" and difficult to deal with when not using bentonite. This is mostly from white juice buckets where I used superclear but no bentonite. I had to filter to remove it all.

What benefit do you expect to get by skipping the bentonite?

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I did not intend to leave it out but after I did I wanted to know impact and what to do.

Latest posts

Back