Force carbonating Apfelwein.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilesDavis

Reaction score
For some silly reason, I bottled most of my initial test batch of Apfelwein as a still wine, with a mere two 22 oz bottles being bottle conditioned. Turns out that it is an order of magnitude tastier when carbonated.
So I bought a Carbonator device that converts a 1 or 2 liter plastic soda bottle into a force-carbonation pressure vessel. It's the best thing I have ever bought.
First thing, I disregarded the instruction to disconnect the pressure line while shaking. I hooked it up to my welding gas regulator and set it 30 psi, and shook the heck out of it. The Apfelwein was cooled in a sub-zero degree freezer for about 40 minutes before carbonating. I shook it for about 30 sec. at a couple of minute intervals, and it was fully carbed in 10 min. Nice and sharp and fizzy, in a few minutes. Perfect.

That is pretty neat, but I do this a tad bit different..

I use a cornelious keg. I take wine the minute the SG dips below 1.0 - and the yeast is still active or the wine is still cloudy) and add some priming sugar. I then seal and shake the living heck out of it to ensure that the sugar is dissolved.

I then store it at room temperature for a week. After a week, I take the keg and place it into my keggerator (33 degrees) for about 3 weeks, shaking it for the first couple of days.

Before tapping the keg, I release some of the pressure.

TA-DA, champagne on tap!

That's a pretty good idea, beats bottling it all. I'm on the hunt now for a couple of cornys. It just seems that every one that comes up for sale is at least a 50 mile (each way) drive from me.

I do it with priming sugar also. I ferment dry then add 1oz sugar per gallon and 1/4tsp yeast. As soon as I see the first bubble in the airlock I bottle. It gets cloudy for a few weeks then the lee drops out. I bottle in EZ Cap bottles. The little bit of lee that settles doesnt bother us. Just pour slowly into a glass and enjoy.

As soon as I can find the time I am going to put together a keg deal to start force carbonate this stuff. We drink ALL the time.

RR

That's a pretty good idea, beats bottling it all. I'm on the hunt now for a couple of cornys. It just seems that every one that comes up for sale is at least a 50 mile (each way) drive from me.

Go over the net.. You can find reconditioned corny kegs for under $40. At some places, if your order is over $100.00, you get free shipping.

That is pretty neat, but I do this a tad bit different..

I use a cornelious keg. I take wine the minute the SG dips below 1.0 - and the yeast is still active or the wine is still cloudy) and add some priming sugar. I then seal and shake the living heck out of it to ensure that the sugar is dissolved.

I then store it at room temperature for a week. After a week, I take the keg and place it into my keggerator (33 degrees) for about 3 weeks, shaking it for the first couple of days.

Before tapping the keg, I release some of the pressure.

TA-DA, champagne on tap!
If using a CO2 tank in cornys, you can skip the sugar and let it ferment to dry. at 10 PSI it will take about three weeks to carbonate or you can force carbonate at 30 PSI for about a day or two with some inverting of the keg two to three times a day.
If not using a CO2 tank, what you said will work.

BWS,

Not too sure if this is not just my mind playing tricks on me, but I find I get a better, deeper carbonation when using the "natural" method. I believe that, since the pressure is much higher, more CO2 goes into solution?

I would also advise using this method with skeeter pee. Add a little more backsweetening sugar and skip the sorbate. Skeeter Pee champagne was incredible as a nice summer drink. Great over a ton of ice!

I hit the mother lode on bottles the other day, so at least I can bottle condition all of my production. Once I get my corny set up going, I'll force carb all of it.
Doing the math, it's cheaper to drink Apflewein than it is to drink Busch Light, which is the cheapest beer I can handle. Bonus!

BWS,

Not too sure if this is not just my mind playing tricks on me, but I find I get a better, deeper carbonation when using the "natural" method. I believe that, since the pressure is much higher, more CO2 goes into solution?

I would also advise using this method with skeeter pee. Add a little more backsweetening sugar and skip the sorbate. Skeeter Pee champagne was incredible as a nice summer drink. Great over a ton of ice!

I dunno. The stuff that was force carbed seemed just as fizzy as the bottle conditioned product. I'll have to do a comparison when the next batch is ready.

Natural carbonation will give you a finer (smaller) bubble where force carbonation will give a larger bubble. You will see this in cheap champagne vs expensive champagne. The expensive having the finer bubble.

Latest posts

Back