Fontana Chardonnay with Joeswine Tweaks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oops. I should refresh before submitting a comment when I step away for a bit.

Like 12 of something is called "a dozen" of them, 144 of anything is called "a gross" of them.

haha
See, that is my VERY literal side coming out. I may have gotten it if it was stated as "that's A gross", but the "that's gross" implied to me I did something gross. :)

144 is a dozen dozen. Or a Gross.

12 x 12 =144

I get it, I get it, fully aware of a gross. :slp

The confusion was leaving "a" out of the original post. "That's gross".

Back to my literal world.

Well, the nature of puns is to stretch meanings a little :D Sorry for the consternation.

Best, Paul

Oh no worries. I work in a compliance department and write construction standard and procedures. So by nature, I am a very black and white person, hence the misunderstanding with no "a".

Old thread I know. If you add fresh apricots to a kit Chardonnay - I presume you would halve them, pit them, and add them into primary fermentation?

Or would you smush them to a paste?

Leave them and treat them like lees? Leave em until racking?

I see pics of dried apricots - 8 oz - is that all you need for a 6 gal kit? Same for fresh?

Thanks in advance!

no if fresh destone and sauté them down to release there sugars until very soft then add to the fermenter as is,..forget the Zesting pic,if you need to go to making an fpac and follow the flow..

Attachments

• IMG_20170903_130134019.jpg
    IMG_20170903_130134019.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20170604_163602806.jpg
    IMG_20170604_163602806.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 31
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 29
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 26
Thanks joeswine. My wife stopped at the store just now and said no fresh apricots here yet. So she brought back 8 oz of dried.

Since this is an old thread I hope I’m not hijacking here.

This is a 6 gal MV kit I plan to make to only 5 gal. In reading what others have done I guess I will:

I’ll use the dried apricots and add them at the start and leave em alone thru the primary fermentation. My instructions say to rack anything that will flow thru the siphon for secondary fermentation so the bulk of the apricots will get left behind at that point. I ’ll put grapefruit zest in a bag and add into the secondary fermentation and taste daily - and remove them when taste dictates.

Rehydrate the apricots in 2cups of the base wine ( sauted)then add it back directly into the primary then the yeast. Now your in the correct flow .What style wine is this to be?

No zest ,by reducing the volume you increase the acholo .%if anything add 1cup toasted oak to the primary and that's it ,allow science to take care of the rest.. happy wine making. In the past have you followed my threads?and if so have you found them fun and helpful?

No zest ,by reducing the volume you increase the acholo .%if anything add 1cup toasted oak to the primary and that's it ,allow science to take care of the rest.. happy wine making. In the past have you followed my threads?and if so have you found them fun and helpful?

Absolutely! That’s why I am trying the tweak:). Thank you.

@Ron0126 I realize this thread is two and a half years old, and you've slept since then, but I didn't see a post on what you thought of your Fontana Chardonnay at Thanksgiving 2017. I'm also wondering what, if any, changes you would make to your process. I have a Fontana Chardonnay on its way to me.

@Ron0126 I realize this thread is two and a half years old, and you've slept since then, but I didn't see a post on what you thought of your Fontana Chardonnay at Thanksgiving 2017. I'm also wondering what, if any, changes you would make to your process. I have a Fontana Chardonnay on its way to me.

It was good in 2017, a good deal better in 2018, and the few bottles I had left by 2019 were fantastic. I would not change anything. It had a good buttery, oaky flavor. But patience is your friend.

I just picked up this kit since it was $40.. I'm gonna go with your recipe, but instead of the Apricots, I'm gonna use 8-10 ripe bananas. Mostly because I've heard banana wine tastes like Chardonnay.

Back