WineXpert Fixing a "thin" batch?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sangwitch

Reaction score
I started a Bergamais on 9/5 with the intention of a quick turn around in order to have something to drink while the others were ageing. I'm due to bottlethe Bergon the 28th, but II tasted some ofit today and it's really thin and a bit disappointing.Ibuy a couple bottles of Beaujolais every Thanksgiving and I was expectingthat young, fruity flavor, but this goes beyondhaving a young taste....like I said, very thin and flat. Now I'm thinking that I shouldn't be so quick to bottle. Any suggestions to fatten it up a bit in a hurry?

One idea I had was mix in a couple bottles of something big and chewy like a cab or merlot right before bottling.I won't be giving any away at this point anyway so... I don't know. Suggestions please?

thanks,
r

You could experiment a little sang . Take a gallon of the Bergamais and try blending it to get the body you want and go from there but I believe i wouuld go ahead and bottle at least half the batch as is because 6-8 months down the road you may wish you had left it all like it was and you can always blend more later if it doesnt improvebut its terribly hard to un-blend it.

Thanks Waldo. Experimentation isexactly what I think I'll do.

BTW, You were waxing poetic last night! Please post the recipe of whatever you were drinking!
smiley17.gif

One batch of wine that turned out to be too "thin/lacking body" I have designated my top up wine for all of my red wines that I am now making. I do understand the intent of this wine was to be for immediate consumption, so blending it would be the way to go. Problem for myself would be taking a older wine whose tastes I like and thinning it down inorder to fatten up a younger wine.
JC

Sangwitch,

I'd wait it out and see what it produces. I made the Veaux Chateau Da Roi and I was disappointed after 1 month in the bottle, then I tried a bottle 2 months later and WOW what a change! Give it some time and if it isn't what you expect, then blend it then.

Sangwitch
My Bergamais tasted a bit thin also when it was young. I would mix it with a little Yellow tail to add a bit of body to it. I would use a 4 to 1 ratio of Bergamais to Yellow Tail Shiraz. So for example 4 ounces of Bergamais to 1 ounce ofShiraz.

I used Yellow Tail Shiraz because of its fruitiness.

Now after about 6 months in the bottle I really enjoy it on its own. What a difference a little time makes.

earl

I wouldn't judge your wine until it ages at least 4 months. I have not liked most of my wines right after finishing fermentation. It is amazing what a few more months will do. Let it age in the carboy awhile, you can always blend later if you do not like it then.
Dave

Thanks for all the input everyone. I realize it will improve with age, but I made this one for quick drinking. I was just surprised that it tastes as thin as it does. But anyway... I've decided to rack half to a 3-gal carboy and blend the other half with something.

That way I'll have 3-gal of "pure" ageing an extra couple days. (i mean months) and I can start drinking the rest right away as originally planned.

What was I thinking??
smiley3.gif

In my obsession with getting something – anything – bottled I was willing to destroy this poor wine before it had any chance to blossom and mature into its own identifiable self. I am an artisan. I want to craft wine in order to get away from the overly processed commercial product that has been stripped of its distinctive charm and regional characteristics. I hereby vow to preserve the individual integrity and quality of each of my wines to the best of my ability. I will nurture this Bergamais to its full potential.
smiley31.gif
May the wine gods smile down upon me and forgive me.

You posted the last 2 threads about 80 minutes apart. I'm guessing that was just enough time to have a couple glasses of your artistry
smiley2.gif

earl

Um... I might have had a glass or two
smiley17.gif

I'm back to blending again. I found some really inexpensive wine at the store. Only $2.50 a quart! It's called "MD 20/20". I figure for that price I can go ahead an pour in a few bottles.

LOL! Mad Dog 20/20! We used to make losers of a poker hand drink that stuff. Thunderbird is another one we used to make the losers of a hand drink too. Nasty stuff! Can it even legally be called wine?

I saw Thunderbird in the store the other day as well. Thunderbird has been mentioned in plenty of songs, but I never actually saw it until now. I have had a bit of Mad Dog here and there as a kid though.
smiley2.gif
I'm thinking it may be a malt liquor actually... I'm going to have to check that out. I don't think it's wine.I only remember grape as a kid, but when I saw it in the store the other day they had several flavors.

All kidding aside, I've decidedto rack off the Berg into a 5-gal carboy and let that age a while.I'm going toplay with the remaining gallon... maybe blend a little or just bottle it. I thinkthis will take care of the itch I have to bottle something and still let the rest of the wine come into its own.

Seems there was an expression as a kid...."What's the Word???? Thunderbird"

Then there is Midnight Express....Ripple...some name with Rose in it...

Actually we use to make Ripple Slurppies....in a blender, ice/grapefruit juice and Ripple....got you through...

We use to live near Brainerd International Raceway [BIR]...there was a liquor store there that sold all those 'inexpensive' wines... On the shelves were posted recipes for marinades...so guess there is a use for them...other than drinking....That's the only place I had ever seen such a 'good' selection of those types of wines.
smiley2.gif

There usually was a good time camping in the in-feild at the track....there oftan were piles of beer cans in some camps that were as big as the peoples tents....Bet there were a few wine bottles to be had too....Edited by: Northern Winos

Latest posts

Back