First Wine Results (Pics) (Vintners Reserve Coastal White Kit)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dessertmaker

Reaction score
This is the first wine I've ever done.

Started with coastal white concentrate and added bentonite and red star premier couvee

Racked off lees after 2 weeks. It fell clear the next day. Sample was bitter with a yeast taste.

Degassed 2 weeks later. Sample was still bitter and very strong yeast taste but I could taste a little of the grape.

Didn't like the clarity, degassed again 1 week later and added sparkolloid. And campden tablet.

Fell clear 3 days later.

Let it sit for another 2 weeks. It sampled, bitter, yeasty, slight fruit and body

3 months later it tasted identical. So I drew some wine off the top and made a spritzer out of it, which was tolerable, and backsweetened with 4 cans welches white grape and 4 cans welches peach frozen concentrate. Sampled still bitter but much more body, fruit, grape taste. Not much yeast left.

I let it sit on that sediment for 9 months. Result: Full body for a white, peach and apple bouquet, semi sweet and with a bite at the end.

I lost the SG measurements but it fermented dry to 12% and didn't referment the welches concentrate.

The 12% was too hot for the wife, so I cut half the batch down to 6% using Sprite. She absolutely LOVES it. Brought some to a family party and all the aunts and cousins went nuts over it. The bottles were empty within an hour.

And for the record I think the color of the wine is absolutely Gorgeous! It originally cleared out blush, but the concentrate brought the blush more to a yellow. Here's some pics: its even pretty clear right after bottling.

image-149639821.jpg

image-217827516.jpg

Looks great! You might need to find some different bottles. Corking a screw top would make me nervous for more than one reason. Congrats on your success!

That's a screw top that had a decorative top and came with a cork in it. It's crazy how they package some of these new wines isn't it? At any rate, I don't think I have more than 2 of the same bottles in the whole batch. That's the only nice clear one I had which is why I took a pic of that one. I've got a buddy who works at a restaurant snatching a certain brand of bottles for me so this is the only batch ill make like that. The next one will be nice and uniform.

olusteebus said:
I am surprised it took so long to come around. Looked good.

It actually came around right at about 1 month after adding the welches but letting it sit for another 9 months made a difference in the bouquet and the finish. I could have bottled it long before I did but just never made the time.

Latest posts

Back