First time winemaker!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porkskin

Junior
Reaction score
Good morning, I recently ordered thePremier Scratch 5-Gallon Package for Home Wine Makers kit along with California Reserve Merlot and Peach Channardonay wine kits.. Should I make the Merlot first and then the peach or buy extra fermenting bucket and carboy to do both?

Welcome aboard!!!

If you have the $$ - I would get the extra carboy and primary and start both...

Welcome to the forum.

The peach Chardonnay will be ready to drink right away, but the Merlot will take some additional time. Make the Peach Chardonnay first and start drinking it while you make, then age the Merlot. Be patient with the Merlot and give it time to grow up.

Thank you, I do like the idea of the extra carboy to get multiple wines going..my counter if full of empty Redwood merlot, yellowtail shariz and apotic red bottles.. The peach chardonnay is for the wife, I want that red...Lookin forward to this adventure. Excited!!!

Lots of bottles are a good thing. Get them cleaned now when you have time. At least clean a few at a time, cleaning them is a chore. If you don't know, a gallon will fill 5 750mililiter bottles. Takes a bunch of them for 5 gal. Arne.

Good morning, I recently ordered thePremier Scratch 5-Gallon Package for Home Wine Makers kit along with California Reserve Merlot and Peach Channardonay wine kits.. Should I make the Merlot first and then the peach or buy extra fermenting bucket and carboy to do both?
Most wine kits make 6 US gallons or 23 litres or 5 Imperial gallons. Since I don't know what country you are from, and most people on this forum are from the US, I am concerned that you are planning to make a 6 US gallon kit in 5 US gallon equipment.

Regarding order...unless you want to buy more equipment, then make the Peach Chardonnay first, bottle it after a few weeks, and then start the Merlot. The Peach can be drunk early, and the merlot will apreciate extra time in carboy.

Steve

I made wine the first time last year just to see if I could do it. Now I have 6 carboys and a primary fermenting bucket. Going to the store tomorrow for another bucket and carboy. And visiting a local winery on Friday in hopes of picking up some free used wine bottles. Fortunately carboys and airlocks are relatively cheap compared to some hobbies.

Porkskin, Welcome to winemaking. I started out with a standard kit, but realized a second carboy (glass bottle) would be nice so i don't have to rack to my bucket, and then back to the carboy. They I thought I'd like to make multiple kits and if I get a third carboy I could start a kit every 2 weeks with bottling after 7 weeks.

Then i started reading about bulk aging and realized, I could use a lot of carboys. But I am holding out until i see an internet sell for $30 each before amassng more of these things. If i stick to whites, I can bulk age for less time than the reds, but there are a couple reds I'd like to get started.

Good Luck

Welcome Porkskin, I started the same way. I got a beginners kit as a gift, needed another carboy and it was cheaper to get another beginners package. Now have 3 fermentors, carboys all over the place. My juices come in on Thursday and I just might need another carboy. Welcome to this great hobby. Bakervinyard

Thank you all, I ordered an extra carboy and fermentor this morning and should receive my first winemaking equipment tomorrow. I see now that I will be buying a few more carboys soon!! Glad to be part of a cool group!!:d

Welcome, as far as equipment,,,it's like Lay's Chips,,,you can't just have one! The more the merrier you'll be!

porkskin said:
Thank you, I do like the idea of the extra carboy to get multiple wines going..my counter if full of empty Redwood merlot, yellowtail shariz and apotic red bottles.. The peach chardonnay is for the wife, I want that red...Lookin forward to this adventure. Excited!!!

Don't forget you are going to have to rack those wines that is going to require an extra carboy

OK, lets see if I'm doing anything wrong! I started my peach chardonnay last night, rehydrated my yeast and got in all in my primary. Took a check with my hydrometer, read 1070 with a temp of about 72 degrees. Just checked with hydrometer again 17 hrs later and read 1060, but can't really tell if my yeast is working. Should I be seeing anything yet, or should I add sugar?

You are seeing something. You are seeing the sugar levels drop which means your yeast is converting the sugar to CO2 and alcohol. You're oficially making wine. Welcome aboard!

OK, on my mondi Peach Chardonnay, it will be 48hrs this evening around 7pm, when should I lock it down with my airlock. Fermentation is going pretty good now!

Some people never put it under airlock until it goes into a carboy. I put it under airlock from day one in the fermenter. You should do what works for you

Oh well, Day 3 of first batch, hydrometer read 1050!! But then I drop hydrometer in the sink and it breaks in half! LOL Time to visit the Toy Store!!!

Latest posts

Back