First time winemaker - carboy size / brand ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are not really 'marbles" with the colors in them they are the glass clear decorative vase fillers that can also be used in fish tanks ect.. no lead. I use them in my plastic better bottle to top off, i do not think i will be putting them in my glass demijohn tho...

I like having an assortment of sizes of carboys including a few one gallon jugs like Carlo Rossi wine or apple cider comes in. Well, apple cider used to come in a gallon glass jug. There is another wine, I forget the brand that comes in a jug that's about 3 quarts. I'm talking about jugs that will take a rubber stopper with airlock. I make wine with different kinds of fruit I grow or get from others, so I never know how big a batch I'll get. I have 6.5, 6, 5, and 3 gallon carboys as well as the jugs, so I can split a batch up and then recombine or re-split as the racking goes. Several people are talking about kits. You said you'd start with kits, not a bad idea, but if you move from kits to using fruit or going to a vineyard and picking grapes, then flexibility is helpful. When you get a corker, get a floor corker unless somebody gives you a hand corker for free, which is what they're worth. Oh, I forgot, I have a 14 gallon demijohn I used once and then noticed a hairline crack about 6 inches long along it's equator. They are very thin walled in that area. They're also not recommended for use with a vacuum pump because of that. Speaking of vacuum pumps, if you think you're going to stay with it and do any kind of volume, eventually you'll want one. I use the Allinone and like it.
Regarding tapwater, distilled water, etc. People recommend against chlorinated water from your tap, but you can let it sit out a while and the chlorine will dissipate or heat it on the stove and get rid of the chlorine quickly. I'm not convinced the amount of chlorine in tapwater makes that much difference anyway. When you make bread with yeast, do you use tapwater? Similarly, distilled water not having minerals - your fruit has minerals and you use yeast nutrient, so the minute amount of minerals in spring water or tapwater strike me as being of questionable benefitl.

First. I use all 7.9 buckets for all primary fermentation. For degassing and adding chems and f-packs I have 2 6.5 gallon carboys. This allows me to use my wine pump/vacuum to degas and have enough headspace.
From there you will need a few 5 gallon carboys (all glass for the carboys btw). After degassing you need the 5 gallon size to rerack to and keep topped up.

Next. I buy a set of 4-6 1/2 gallon and gallon glass jugs to hold the remaining wine on transfers. I get them from a place online. A set of 6 comes for 2-4$ per unit.

I also would have a case of ez-cap wine bottles. This is for leftovers that do not fill up a 1/2 gallon jug.

All these are one time purchases and will last forever.

For water I use reverse osmosis water for wine and tap hot water initially to dissolve bentonite. I occasionally put in 1 tsp of fermaid k for yeast nutrients if the wine kit has a large percentage of tap water.

All buckets are the same I use for beer. I have plastic carboys for beer secondaries. Wine glass because of the vacuum.

Thanks everyone for the helpful hints. I started with a couple 6g glass carb's, a 7.9g fermentation bucket, heater belt (seems to keep it @ ~75F), auto-siphon, aluminum racking cane, 8' tubing, ph strips, hydro, and some thermometers and brushes... An eclipse chardonnay and pinot kit. Started the pinot last night and it's already making CO2 so well on the way!

Will keep updated and thinking about what to start next after these two kits are racked and bulk ageing... :)

Cheers!
-jonathan

Latest posts

Back