First time using frozen must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what I was asking myself, too, Mike. So, I put it on.

That's what I was asking myself too haha. I did a cab and a Merlot frozen must, and being a kit wine maker, didn't adhere to a great nutrition regiment. My cab only got down to 1.004 but my Merlot has gone to 0.996. Be good to your must!!

OK, so I got the temp up to 70*F. Lots of activity going on today, which surprises me a bit. I'm not used to seeing this much activity so soon with BM45. This afternoon I checked on it and found that it had formed a cap already. So, punching down the cap is now a threshold that I've crossed. And since it was already getting active I decided to add half the Fermaid K. :sm

Yes, geek, got 'em both.

I've got a really strong fermentation going this morning. Got up and punched down the cap (which is a lot thicker than I imagined it would be). It sounds like steak sizzling on the grill. But here's a question that's arising for me. Why is this starting so fast and producing so little foam? I've used this BM45 on 5 kits before now and it always took two to three days for the fermentation to get going and every time it produced more foam than I've ever seen. The last time my juice literally bubbled out of the fermenter when I added the Fermaid. Is there that much difference between kits and raw must?

Added the second half to the Fermaid last night. Vigorous fermentation continues this morning. Continuing to punch down the cap two or three times per day. All is well so far! :D

It's been a week since I pitched the yeast on this wine. I decided to check the gravity. SG: 1.004. So, It looks like I'll be pressing off the skins soon! :r

I've been punching down the cap three to four time each day. It smells great! And I've gotten a couple of tiny tastes along the way and it tastes amazing. I'm pumped about how this is going to turn out. Hope I don't screw it up.

No, Seth, this being my first go at grape must I'm short on some of those little details. Since I have such a small amount, my plan is to use a wire sieve to scoop the skins into a fine mesh bag and just use my hands to squeeze it. I may not get as much out of them as I would with a press, but I'll just have to make do. I'm certainly open to suggestions if folks have a better way of doing it.

Nylon mesh laundry bag, for about 2 bucks. Wash and rinse well, sanitize if you feel like with a little kmeta solution only and wring out. Line a pail with the bag and pour the must into the pail. Slowly raise the bag and easily the skins will stay behind, but will not clog. Allow to drip most of free run into a bucket, then twist to press off the rest.
Oh, and wear rubber gloves.

Last edited:
Nylon mesh laundry bag, for about 2 bucks. Wash and rinse well, sanitize if you feel like with a little kmeta solution only and wring out. Line a pail with the bag and pour the must into the pail. Slowly raise the bag and easily the skins will stay behind, but will not clog. Allow to drip most of free run into a bucket, then twist to press off the rest.
Oh, and wear rubber gloves.

OH, YES! That's the trick! :db

Yup, I was going to mention something like that.

I use two buckets, one with holes and the other with a strainer in it and I sit the bucket over a collection bucket and press with the other bucket.

I went out to Target this morning and got a nylon mesh laundry bag that is large enough to fit inside my old Brew Bucket. And I can use the draw string to clamp it to the top of the bucket so that it doesn't fall back in while I pour the must through. Then I can just use the spout at the bottom of the Brew Bucket to transfer the wine into the carboy. I believe that's a plan.

I checked the gravity yesterday, 0.994. Again today it was at 0.994. So I "pressed off the skins." Wow! that was one big mess! Nothing went wrong or anything -- at least I don't believe anything went wrong. It's just that pouring the must into another bucket caused a lot of splattering. :< And I had to do it twice since my 7.9 gal brew bucket couldn't hold it all at one time. I'd also decided to do it in the bathtub, so it was a lot easier to clean up. I ended up with 7 gallons (one full carboy and two half gallon jugs). I'm shocked at how quickly the sediment begins to drop out of this wine.

So, here is my question. Once I got it in the carboy and got it under airlock, I discovered that there was a lot of activity in the airlock. Is this the wine degassing? I was assuming that since the SG was below 1.00 and that it was the same two days in a row, alcoholic fermentation was over. So, somebody help me out here. What's up with all the bubbles?

Are you doing MLF? If so, rack off that heavy sediment in a day or two, then pitch your MLB.

Sounds like everything is moving along swimmingly.

Latest posts

Back