First time bottling wine now, another corking question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kromski

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all and thank you for helping!

Iam about to start the bottling process, and I have a sealed bag of Brewcraft brand "collimated" corks.

Do I need to "treat" them, or do I just use them as they come out of the bag?

Thank you a million!

kromski

The rule of thumb is to do nothing and just use them out of the sealed bag, as they should be sterile. However it may be hard to cork with dry corks using a hand corker though. I'm new and I tried a test run with a dry cork. I could not get it to go all the way in. I'm just going to spray mine with a bit of one step cleaner and then shake off and cork, just to get them to go in. You'll have to decide what's best for you.

Here's a thread that explain why you should not wet/soak/treat corks.
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f5/hey-whats-corking-problem-32180/

I've only bottled two batches so far - both with a double level hand corker. I don't soak the corks, per se. But I do throw them into the bucket of sanitizer for a second, then leave them in a strainer for a few minutes while I set up the bottling equipment. So far (knock on wood), no blown corks. I leave them upright for a week or so after I bottle.

btom2004 said:
I'm just going to spray mine with a bit of one step cleaner and then shake off and cork, just to get them to go in.

Would using k-meta spritz be a better option then cleaner here, thats what I did because it was a small bag and not sealed. I'll do the corkador thing next time.

The first few batches I used kmeta and put them in wet, but I noticed wine wicking up the cork a little. I then used kmeta and let them dry in a colander. Now I just use them dry.

I did a few more tests dry runs and got the cork to go in. So I guess if bag is sealed, then there's no need to wet at all. Hey after all wine is alcohol and that should kill anything.

I am new...so much to learn. I liked the cork-a-dor storage idea in the link above....i hadn't even thought of the issue of cork storage until reading this - great forums!

I was wondering while reading this if a zip lock with a cigar humidor element soaked in a k meta solution would be an easy option for long term storage? Or should i just build the cork-a-dor?

I am new...so much to learn. I liked the cork-a-dor storage idea in the link above....i hadn't even thought of the issue of cork storage until reading this - great forums!

I was wondering while reading this if a zip lock with a cigar humidor element soaked in a k meta solution would be an easy option for long term storage? Or should i just build the cork-a-dor?
I would stay away from the cigar humidore due to off flavors and wood. Wood likes to harbor bacteria.

humidor elements

I think only the humidification element from the humidor is being used here. It's basically a sponge and in a vented plastic case.

The material is a lot like the stiff green sponge-like material that artificial flowers are set into, if that helps.

The only problem I see is that you can't use a "used" element, since packaged humidification fluids contain food grade poly ethylene glycol to inhibit mold growth.

You can buy an element separately at a ciger store. I don't think there would be any advantage over a container of solution sitting in the bucket.

Hope this helps,
Ralph

Latest posts

Back