first Pineapple Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSmith3011

Reaction score
Hey all,
Today was a horrible rainy day on Nantucket, so I celebrated by making wine. I loved the sound of the Pineapple Riesling and it has been on my mind for weeks. The main problem is the ph and acid levels. I am new to using these test on wine but followed them accurately.

I combined a few different recipes together to create this. About 18lbs Pineapple cleaned and cubed, k-meta, nutrient, ascorbic acid, enhancer, 8 lbs of sugar, 1 can Alexanders Sun Riesling concentrate and the broth from a soup of 5lbs of bananas. Everything looked awesome from the initial smell and color. The SG came in at 1.082 then I did the Ph and acid test. The ph was off the scale, I only have the test strips and it really only changed its color a hint, very high ph. I did a ph test with the strips on another batch of my wine and it worked perfect. I then did the acid test. As soon as I added one drop of the neutralizer it changed color. So this means I have .1% Acid.
A note; I did these test soon after I added all ingredients. I mixed everything together but thought perhaps the fruit needs time to combine with other ingredients.
Before I continue tomorrow with yeast, what should I do to this batch? My thought is to add acid blend but will this adjust the ph?
Thanks all!!

I think I got the answer. I will add about 5 tsp of acid blend to start and see what that does. If I need to I will add more acid to increase the acid and lower the ph.
:se

I remember I made a pineapple wine long time ago from canned pineapples.

Pineapples have very low acid.
When you do not adjust it you will get a medicine-flavor in your wine, really awfull. I speak from experience from my first pineapple batch.

Best is to test acidity:
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2010/09/zuurmeting-deel-5-measuring-acidity.html

And then adjust acid level.

I still wished you all would go over to the metric system that would make calculations soo much easier :p

Luc

I still wished you all would go over to the metric system that would make calculations soo much easier :p

Luc

One system would be easier. Too often the recipes start out with cups then later on you're adding ml of something. For me I wasn't taught metric until later in life and it's a hard habit to break.

We tried the metric system, but it didn't take.

You need to realize that (for us) going to the metric system would be just as hard as the rest of the world going to our standards.

Perhaps the leaders of the world should get together and flip a coin.

we use alot of metric in our winery. we also use alot of standard US measurements and convert back and forth! boo!

i prefer metric, but many of our forms for the ATF are for gal/lbs/etc. our tanks are in gallons too.

I wish we would go over to metric. Being an electronic technician by trade I find myself living between metric, engeneering, and standard notation. Not quit as fun as it sounds... lol

Back