First oak barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcorey

Reaction score
I just received my first vadai 11 gallon oak barrel this week. I prepped it and put in my first batch yesterday. The barrel is sealed properly but it's moist around the hole. Is that ok?

Maybe I filled it too much. How much wine do put in there/just enough for it not to spill out when I put in the bung?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Makings CDs ab b mlgggyioojyt

Dd

SAh.mmz. C
VEllfkgkd

Mixttibsk

don't know the answer to your question, just wanted to say congrats on getting an oak barrel. I've been reading about them lately and now it has moved to the top of my wish list!

Yep, fill it till it doesn't seep out when you insert the bung. Did you purchase a silicon bung with it? I would not use the supplied oak bung, doesn't seal well unless you pound it in, then you can't get it out!

Yes, I have a silicone bung. There is wine dampness about 1/2" around the bung and just wondering if that will grow bacteria

Dd

SAh.mmz. C
VEllfkgkd

Mixttibsk

Great idea! Thank you

Dd

SAh.mmz. C
VEllfkgkd

Mixttibsk

I embrace the spills on the barrel. :D

FF3A73AB-9CED-434E-8030-EE076A9EB5C6.jpg

Great pic! I feel better now.

like the idea that the barrels are on the cart. I was thinking about doing that but wonder how I would siphon the wine out considering the barrels are so low.

How do you do it?

Dd

SAh.mmz. C
VEllfkgkd

Mixttibsk

Congrats on the new barrel. Oh, and do what Glowin said.

I just want to commend everyone for not making a crack about the moist hole. :D

Too funny. I tried to avoid writing "that it's moist around the bung hole"

Dd

SAh.mmz. C
VEllfkgkd

Mixttibsk

Great pic! I feel better now.

like the idea that the barrels are on the cart. I was thinking about doing that but wonder how I would siphon the wine out considering the barrels are so low.

How do you do it?

By using a regular pump or a vacuum pump.

I just want to commend everyone for not making a crack about the moist hole. :D

whasup?????

Has the corner gone the way of all other penal colonies (like devil's island)??

Are convicts no longer sent there? Has that space in the corner been converted into a wine storage area?

How is the 11 gallon vadai? I have one arriving next week. Did you prep it w hot water or cold? Also whoever posted the picks of the barrels w racks, did you make those racks? How about posting the instructions, ie measurements?

I prepped the barrel per vadai's instructions:
1) boiling water on the outside of each head. Two times for 30 minutes each.
2) I then but 4 gallons of boiling water inside the barrel. I think I then stood it on each head for 30 minutes.
3) With the hot water still in the barrel, I then rolled the barrel on its belly. I rolled the barrel 1/4 turn every 30 minutes or so. This allows the water to come in contact with the entire barrel.
4) after 2 hours or so, I emptied the hot water and put in cold water and filled it to the top. I used pure spring water from the store to avoid the chlorinated tap water.
5) after a couple days and no leaks, I emptied the water and put in my wine

Dd

SAh.mmz. C
VEllfkgkd

Mixttibsk

Latest posts

Back