First Non-Kit Batch - Cherry / Pom

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windchill

Junior
Reaction score
Greetings All!

I have a couple questions, at the end of this post, but thought I'd say what I've done so far.

After finishing my first Kit I decided to make a small batch of something just so I didn't screw it up. Based on the wife's tastebuds I chose to do the following:

1 Gallon Cherry / Pomegranate From Old Orchard

18 Jan 2011
  • 3 - 12 oz Cherry / Pomegranate Old Orchard 100% Juice (Thawed)
  • Rinsed Juice containers out with tap water to 1/2 Gallon
  • Added 1.5 cups Sugar to 1/2 Gallon of water To Must(?) For Total 1 Gallon
  • SG 1.080
  • Added 1 tsp Yeast Nutrient
  • Added 1 tsp Acid Blend
  • Added 1/2 tsp Tannin
  • Added 1/2 tsp Pectin Enzyme
  • Gave it a good stirring and let sit overnight (Evaporates chlorine, etc...)

19 Jan 2011
  • Hydrated Lalvin RC212 Yeast And poured it in

20 Jan 2011
  • Bubbling away. Note Basement temperature hovering 64F (ish)

The above recipe is sort of scaled and pulled from other posts on this site.

Now the questions:

1. Can someone tell me about or a good link to Acid info?
  2. I have pH Strips and the above reading was 3.6 on the 18th. Some of the recipes list pH or Acid to .6%. What is the correlation between pH and Acid percent I read about?
  3. When choosing between A Lalvin 71B-1122 or a Lalvin RC-212 yeast as some recipes talk about for a red wine what's the difference? Final taste?
  4. After the wine has Fermented to Dry and its been racked to the carboy is stirring at that point just to release SO2 that might have built up? How do you know you are stirring too much or too little?
  5. My next steps are to do the following in order right?
  • Rack when Dry
  • Add Potassium Metabisulfite and Sparkolloid
  • Stir Now and then???
  • Rack when clear
  • Back sweeten
If you're going to sweeten the wine, then you need to add potassium sorbate with the K-meta.

Stir now and then??? When/how are you planning to degas? You could consider the "pick up the jug and shake it" method since it's a one gallon jug.

Steve

Yes the Potassium Sorbate is on my list to add when sweetening. Forgot to type it out. Should be about 1/2 tsp I think.

I've got one of those drill mounted mixers for degassing. But right, with a one gallon it might be easier with the shaking method as you say.

The "Stir now and then??" was really part of the question for how often should I be stirring or is there a good guildline?

Guess I didn't make that clear at all as I read it now...

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back