First MLF

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shen

Reaction score
This year I started 6 gallons of each Cab Sauv, Cab Franc, and Merlot. Alcohol fermentation has just completed, so tonight I bought and added Viniflora Oneos MLF bacteria. I haven't been able to find any instructions other than you just add it directly to the wine. I believe I have read somewhere about MLF that you want to stir it in, and stir the wine a couple times a week throughout the MLF. Is this correct, or do I just add it and wait? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm assuming your MLB was in liquid form. If it was not then it should have been rehydrated first, but I am guessing you had the liquid and did the right thing.

If you have gross lees it is better to rack that off first, if you don't you are fine.

MLF is very sensitive to low temps and of sulphites, sleep the ambient temp as high as you can with the goal being that the wine is around 70 degrees.

When you do stir, be gentle as MLF also is not crazy about oxygen.

Look at the neck of your carboy for bubble, this is the sign that is it working. You should see lots of bubbles it your airlock will not be going crazy compared to alcohol fermentation.

Depending on several factors(temp being #1) MLF can take between 3 weeks and several months. Once it is done, stabilize your wine because once the CO2 production stops, the wine is much more susceptible.

Good luck

pH?

I read that if pH is at or close to 3.5 or higher that VA (vinegar) will form during the MLF process. Is this a valid consideration before MLF initiation?

I read that if pH is at or close to 3.5 or higher that VA (vinegar) will form during the MLF process. Is this a valid consideration before MLF initiation?

No this is not correct. Naturally VA can occur if the wine is not topped off or is exposed to the wrong bacteria, but most red wines are at or slightly above a pH of 3.5.

The connection with VA and MLF is that some strains of MLF can eat sugar and a byproduct of that VA. That is why most MLF's are performed post sugar/alcohol fermentation or pitched very close to the end of fermentation.
Different varieties of bacteria do this more or less than others but since you are already dry, you have nothing to worry about.

Two weeks into MLF and it looks to be on the right track. I've kept the wine at 72 degrees for all of the 2 weeks, and I'm still getting bubbles in the neck of the carboys How long should I wait before I add the Kmeta to stop it?

The first 3 samples are the reds I'm doing this year. The last one is a Chardonnay that I did last year, but did not do MLF.

MLF_Test.jpg

I just test to see if my ml ferment was done and had similar results. Its been 1 month. I gave it one more stir, going to let it sit for 1 more week, then add so2, and continue on to bulk aging

Good job Shen. I love to see you got the test kit so you aren't just guessing as to when it might be done.
The cost per test is really reasonable, so, it only makes sense to do it the right way. I also got a Vinmetrica SC-300 with hopes of making better wine. It's all about having the right tools for the job.
happy0199.gif

Have you been tasting the wine? MLF is different in every wine. Starts with quality of fruit, type of yeast used, good fermentation, proper pressing and settling along with the quality of the light lees left for MLF. I have had MLF finish in a month and others have taken up to three months. Keep tasting as it goes along and you can get a good idea when it finishes. Chromotography testing is a must.

Back