First batch is WOW and not even done

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaccusIsWine

Reaction score
Ok so I just got done transfering to carboy from my primary about an hour ago and had a quart over 5 gallons(making Monica's apple cider recipe) The extra quart i am drinking right now. Not ready, unfiltered and it is WOW! Its alreay pretty strong and taste pretty damn good. I think her recipe calls for too much sugar cuz when i was making it SG was 1.130 after adding sugar. Transfered today at 1.050. gonna be some rocket fuel let me tell ya lol

It's good to taste at all stages. I might have saved that in a soda bottle for topping up in the next stage, though.

That first transfer tastes soooo good. Not fully wine, lots of juice and flavor left... mmmmmmmm

Debbie

I agree with above post in the fact I would have saved most for topping up purposes later but tasting along the way is good especially in the very beginning of wine making to learn what stuff should sort of taste like at different stages even though each will taste different.

I usually purposefully make a hair over 1 gallon or whatever amount I am making so that I can save a little for topping up. Right now, I have bottled one of my batches, but I keep the extra in a glass jar on the counter. I actually do this with the tail end with the finings as well and let those settle out. I can really milk a batch of wine that way. I can drink this dry, cook with it, sweeten and add to my open bottle of the same, or whatever.

Latest posts

Back