Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once you decant your homemade wine, do you need to consume all of it in one sitting?
HUH? Don't understand the question. What is an undrunk open bottle of wine? Never had one. BTW. Wife and I decant only about 30 minutes before supper. We will try the 6 - 24 hour this weekend. We normally drink a bottle a day, so our wine making process is now continuous. 24/7/365 now that we have joined the 'club"

HUH? Don't understand the question. What is an undrunk open bottle of wine? Never had one. BTW. Wife and I decant only about 30 minutes before supper. We will try the 6 - 24 hour this weekend. We normally drink a bottle a day, so our wine making process is now continuous. 24/7/365 now that we have joined the 'club"
Yeah after I sent the question I decided it was pretty silly.

I buy food grade glycerin by the gallon from Amazon. Buying in small bottles from a LHBS is prohibitively expensive.

In 2022 I made 76 gallons of wine, averaging 0.84 oz glycerin per gallon. My lowest amount was 0.63 oz and the highest was 1.11 oz. I used the most glycerin in kit/pomace wines (kits fermented on pomace from grape wines) that tasted acidic. A bit of extra glycerin changed the perception.

My method is that we prep a wine for bottling and taste it, reserving a large glass for comparison. I've done this enough that I can ballpark the amount of glycerin to use, so we add it, stir very well, and taste again. In the case of the kit/pomace wines we started with 0.8 oz/gallon, then bumped it up when the first tasting was still noticeably acidic.

As I often say, go gently because it's easier to add more than to take some out. but in this case, if you add an extra oz of glycerin to 23 liters of wine, it's not going to ruin it.
I never tried adding glycerin, but now it seems common. When I went to LP's website, they also offer "Fermfast Dual Smooth". Any thoughts about one versus the other?

I never tried adding glycerin, but now it seems common. When I went to LP's website, they also offer "Fermfast Dual Smooth". Any thoughts about one versus the other?
Never used it, and from the description I wouldn't use it. Not that it's a problem, but I age wines in barrels and/or with oak cubes and don't use liquid oak essence. Plus it's a lot more expensive than the straight glycerin I buy.

I have experimented with just removing the cork, and it doesn't have the same effect, at least to my taste on these particular wines, as pouring out a glass, thus leaving a bunch of head space, and then letting it sit 24 hours or so. I haven't noticed the same difference in other wines that I have made. I agree that letting a wine breathe is a good idea. America's Test Kitchen reported that some restaurants pour a bottle of wine into a blender and run it for 10 seconds and then pour it back in the bottle, to aerate it quickly. That would be an interesting experiment for a blind tasting -- comparing 4 hours to breathe, 24 hours with head space, and the blender treatment.
I think you are right about the airation and headspace. I decant to one of those wide bottomed decanters - it gets airation durimg the decanting aa well as a large airspace over the wine.

Try it and see. This works for the heavier high tannin reds. I am not sure it works for lighter wines and white wines.
I’m not questioning the value of decanting, I do it myself for big reds. It’s the open wine bottle lasting a few days that seems a little far fetched 😂. Corks are for quitters after all.

I agree, I've never met a bottle of wine that 2 people couldn't finish.

America's Test Kitchen reported that some restaurants pour a bottle of wine into a blender and run it for 10 seconds and then pour it back in the bottle, to aerate it quickly. That would be an interesting experiment for a blind tasting -- comparing 4 hours to breathe, 24 hours with head space, and the blender treatment.
I've tried the blender method to the horror of one of my guests, he wasn't impressed. To my memory, it was smoother than straight from the bottle. I've never decanted for 4 hours though. The closest I've been able to achieve is about 20 minutes uncorked. I was unable to resist the siren's call. I think it's worth another try though. You know, for science.

I've tried the blender method to the horror of one of my guests, he wasn't impressed. To my memory, it was smoother than straight from the bottle. I've never decanted for 4 hours though. The closest I've been able to achieve is about 20 minutes uncorked. I was unable to resist the siren's call. I think it's worth another try though. You know, for science.
I'm definitely doing a blind tasting. Two bottles. One decanted and the other straight poured and blended.
For Science!!! 🤘

Here are a couple things I have used. On the left is a drink mixer, battery powered. I just dip it in a glass of wine and pulse the start button a few times. It is very high rpm. On the right is a Venturi aerator. I usually put in on top of a carafe and pour a bottle through it. Both seem to work well, the Venturi a little better.

https://www.amazon.com/Vinturi-V101...&sprefix=vinturi,todays-deals,366&sr=1-1&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/Zulay-Origin...-4-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1100_2119.JPG

Silly question. How do you squeeze those skin bags when ready to rack? It seems kinda inefficient to use your hands. Last time I felt like a lot of juice remained. French press? Apple press?
Fall 2021 I did two triple batches:
  • Super Tuscan Forte
  • "Rhone" (Merlot, Petite Sirah, Syrah Forte)

and with 6 skin packs for each, I pressed them in a #40 press. This was serious overkill for such a small amount, but I grossed a couple of extra liters from each batch.

I have a small stainless steel fruit press that needs serious reconditioning. My plan is to refurbish it before I do another kit with skin packs.

Silly question. How do you squeeze those skin bags when ready to rack? It seems kinda inefficient to use your hands. Last time I felt like a lot of juice remained. French press? Apple press?
For a couple packs I will squeeze and wring out the bags. I used a press after wringing them out once and got about a 4-8 oz of wine. So you would have to determine if the press is worth it.

Fall 2021 I did two triple batches:
  • Super Tuscan Forte
  • "Rhone" (Merlot, Petite Sirah, Syrah Forte)

and with 6 skin packs for each, I pressed them in a #40 press. This was serious overkill for such a small amount, but I grossed a couple of extra liters from each batch.

I have a small stainless steel fruit press that needs serious reconditioning. My plan is to refurbish it before I do another kit with skin packs.
Today was FWK racking day for my Forte Cab/Zin. I was racking from the bucket to the carboy. I can now tell you what doesn't work. I took a colander, put it in a small food safe bucket, threw a sopping skin pack in and pressed it with a metal mixing bowl. The bowl was just slightly smaller than the colander. Fail!
It does not apply anywhere near the needed pressure. I had to take them out and squeeze by hand. I guess I just learn the hard way!

Latest posts

Back