Finally got a Hydrometer...drumroll please....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang it all, I just came home with my brand new shiny hygrometer to use in my next batch of wine. Now what to do? lol
smiley36.gif
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>Edited by: CajunTim

That's really weird. I just found out what a hygrothermograph is yesterday at work (work in a Museum)....is that the same as a hygrometer?

No it isn't quite the same thing. The hygrothermograph is a recording hygrometer and thermometer combination, the same as comparing a recording thermograph with a thermometer. The older hygrothermographs use spools of paper to record readings over a period of time. Newer ones record it digitally in memory. They can be used to keep rooms a fairly constant temperature and humidity and keep a record of it. Now, aren't you sorry you asked?
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

So EarthKitten, how the wine/port coming?

We need an update now that you have an hydrometer.

Well, Jobe...

I've been a very bad Earthcat, and I haven't bought any extra Light Malt yet. In my defence (and it's weak...hehehe...) I did go to a local U-Brew place, and asked them if they had any. They had liquid malt only in big vats, and I also asked about carboys there. I found they were asking way too much $$$. So I am still on the hunt. My 'wine' is still bubbling away. I see no end in sight to the bubbles. But I've been working so much since I last posted, I don't feel like I've had time to even think about it. This may be detrimental to my hooch, I realize.....but hey. Can't do anything about it, so I am going to check the spg again, and see if that has changed at all. I have one more place I'd like to check for the Malt.

I feel like I've let you all down.
smiley6.gif

If this wine turns out...I'll be pretty darn surprised. But, you never know.

You can finish the fermentation in the primary bucket if it has a sealable topdrilled for an airlock.
I have a few wines going now and may try doing just that with my orange juice wine

PeterZ said:
Got a PM today from Appleman. In my earlier post I talked about how far the "hygrometer" was sticking up from the must. The correct term is "hydrometer" - a hygrometer measures relative humidity.I plead guilty to wine consumption while foruming. Masta can PM me the citation and I will pay my fine.
smiley19.gif
I've been calling it a hygrometer for over a year now.

DOH!

Thanks for the info!

earthkitten said:
If this wine turns out...I'll be pretty darn surprised. But, you never know.

If this wine turns out (finishes) you'll have found the replacement for GASOLINE! Man it's gonna be hot.

I think you'd be really happy with what the Malt does to high alcohol wines (Ports).

Wade tells me that a strawberry over 12% (I think hats what he said) is to HOT..... taste bad...... I added Malt to mine and got it to 19% and it taste better that the strawberry wine I made at 11% a year or so ago. Can't wait to send him a bottle to get his second opinion.

I don't know at what point you couldn't add the Malt, or the malt wouldn't do any good. I know that I have put some in a small bottle of Blackberry wine to see if it would impart the Malt flavor and it did (it was awesome), but that was low alcohol and I wasn't fermenting with the Malt.

Now I keep a few pounds on hand to add when I know my wine is going to turn out hot tasting.............

Oh..... yes.............. you let me down........ sigh ............
smiley19.gif

Jobe I think I will have to try using some malt soon. Do you only use it in your ports?

Latest posts

Back