Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocco

Reaction score
Started w brix 23, pitched yeast, trying to go slow...temp is 60.... Fermentation looks good, down to 19 brix after 3 days. Added go-ferm w yeast, fermaid k w cap formation and am waiting for brix 16 for second fermaid k dose.
My question is do I keep it slow and steady at 60 degrees or do I bump it up to 72.

for white wine, leave it alone. If red, and you are going for a full bodied traditional variety, I would bump it up to 75 (and have fermentation spike to as high as 90).

Thanks. Set to 75.

Brix from 23 to 16....gonna do second dose of fermaid k in a few hours

Ok set to 75, but the temp of must stays at 75. Not getting a spike to 90 for my red like books says. It's very active, foaming largely. Do I need to get the spike to 90? What advantages am I gonna miss?

Rocco,

Temp should climb as activity increases. At the height of activity, I normally see the temp rise to 89 or 90 degrees.

How far into your fermentation are you?

Rocco,

Temp should climb as activity increases. At the height of activity, I normally see the temp rise to 89 or 90 degrees.

How far into your fermentation are you?

My brix has dropped from 23 to 4 over 7 days since pitching. Temp has been 70-75 as far as I can tell when placing thermometer into must. Did go ferm and two fermaid k feedings as well as opti red and lallzyme. Seems to be going well, It just never got real hot.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back