Fermentation Temp

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocco

Reaction score
My room is set to 75 but the temp of must stays at 75. Not getting a spike to 90 for my cab sav/malbec that I had hoped. It's very active, foaming largely. Do I need to get the spike to 90? What advantages am I gonna miss?

I thought the heat of the reaction of fermentation increases temp to this degree....how can I achieve 85 degrees for a day??

Looks good but can only use w small buckets--I have 2 32 gallon fermenters

I just went and reread the morewinemaking guide to fermentation temperatures. It had been a while since I last read it. It is freely available on the Web and very easy to read. A great reference. I would link to it, but getting urns to copy and paste is sometimes hard on my phone.

Basically it says there are as many opinions on temp as there are winemakers, but most agree a temp between 70 and 90 is just fine for red wines. Some say to spike the temp up some say don't. I generally let the ferment do what it does and try not to worry about it. I do get mine hotter one of the early days, by dragging it to the sunny spot of my basement. But if I forget to do that, the wine is still pretty good.

Last edited:
I've been using that heater on most all of my red juice buckets for some time now. They come as a two square foot unit which can be cut in half. If you're handy, you can add an electrical cord and have two - one square foot - units. They will give a boost to any 6 gal. juice bucket or carboy.

The temperature you achieve without additional heating equipment is primarily related to batch size, the more must in one vessel, the hotter it gets. If you want higher temps on your next batch you could fill one brute a little higher than the other. As mason said, there is no absolute right way, some like the high temp early in the fermentation to get color and body without extracting as much tannin yielding a bit more fruit expression, high temp late in the fermentation when significant alcohol is present tends to extract tannins from skins and seeds possibly ok for long term aging. All of this depends to some extent on the type and maturity of the grapes in the first place, the type of tannins present etc. Some winemakers are looking for more tannin and some are looking for more fruit to get balance.....this is a crazy hobby, but I suspect that's why we're all here.

Latest posts

Back