WineXpert fermentation question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B.J.

Reaction score
I am making the Spanish Rose kit and this is my first time making wine. I just transferred my wine from the fermenting bucket to the carboy on Tuesday and just from today I noticed that the wine much clearer and there is about 3/4 inch of sediment on the bottom, but the airlock isn't bubbling at all anymore. Is this normal after only a couple days? The instructions said to leave it in the carboy for 10 days so the the SG will go down to about .996. When I transferred the wine the SG was 1.010 right where the instructions said it should be. If the wine isn't fermenting at all will the SG still get down the .998? I only transferred a little bit of the sediment like the instructions said to do, but did I leave too much behind?

Its probably already fermented to dry as these kits do not follow written instructions and those instructions are only a guide. You can check sg now and then again in 2 days and see if it is stable ( if the sg does not drop any more its stable) and then you can wait the remainder or proceed with the next step at this point. If there is 3/4 of sediment in there then wit these kits you did a good job.

Thanks for the help!!! I'll check it tomorrow and check again on Sunday like you suggested. If it is stable I'll just move on to the next step
smiley1.gif

BJ

Welcome to the Forum

And welcome to the world of WINEMAKING
smiley20.gif

What is your NEXT kit?

Welcome to Winemaking BJ. It sound like you are doing just fine, I have been making wine for about two years but I still feel like a newbie. Everyone here is great about asking everyone's questions so you have come to the right place. Good Luck and start choosing your next kit soon. It becomes a little addiciting.

Thanks for all the support guys!!!
smiley1.gif
It's just nice to have a bunch of people to talk to that have done all this before that can give me good advice
smiley4.gif
I checked the SG tonight and sure enough it was at .996 right where it should be. I just didn't expect it to get there in just 3 days. I'll check it again tomorrow and if it is the same again I'll just transfer it. My next kit is going to be the Meglioli Reisling. I had ordered it about 5 weeks ago and I figured it would be here sometime soon since it is being released this month. I'm a big fan of dry reds and I had never tried Amarone so I figured after I get the Reisling going I'll get the Meglioli Amarone.

Welcome to the forum BJ, you should be well pleased with the Meglioli's, they make an outstanding wine!

The Amarone is awesome but!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you will surely need to be patient and let it get some good age. That doesnt mean that you cant enjoy a bottle from time to time but it is imperative that you let some age at least 18 months so you can see its true potential and even a little longer would be better.

wade said:
The Amarone is awesome but!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you will surely need to be patient and let it get some good age. That doesnt mean that you cant enjoy a bottle from time to time but it is imperative that you let some age at least 18 months so you can see its true potential and even a little longer would be better.

If you look in the wine stores the youngest Amarone is 4 years old. Does that say anything? I have a batch from 3 years ago and I taste a bottle each year at my wine club. Concensus is its better each year.

I'm viewing my wine making as a long term project
smiley4.gif
I don't plan on drinking any of my wine until well after a year in the bottle. The Megliolis much longer than that. My step-father has been making wine from fresh juice for well over 20 years and he never seemed to be able to let it age very much. Sometimes he was drinking it within a month of the bottling. I tried it many times and always thought it had an off taste that was kind of sharp. Most tasted ok, but some were hard to drink. I figure if I'm going to spend the money on the good kits then I'm going to get the most out of them
smiley1.gif
I'll definitely keep you guys updated!!!
smiley1.gif

Today I'll be adding the F-pack and the stabilizers and the instructions said to add the clarifiers and de-gas the wine. I will have to take about a half bottle of wine out to add the f-pack and other additions. I wasn't sure though how to store the extra wine so I can top off later. I was going to use a wine bottle and use the vacuvin to suck out the air in the bottle to keep it from spoiling. I figured I better ask to see if this will work first before I do it. Is there a better way to store the extra wine?

Any extra I get from a filled carboy I put it in a 750ml or 1.5ml bottle with a airlock. You can add this back in when bottling. Use what ever bottle you can FILL to the top.

tepe said:
Any extra I get from a filled carboy I put it in a 750ml or 1.5ml bottle with a airlock. You can add this back in when bottling. Use what ever bottle you can FILL to the top.</font>

I have a MacGyver like question now
smiley1.gif
I don't have a bung small enough to fit a wine bottle, however I noticed if I take one of my carboy bung and flip it over I can fit it very snuggly on the wine bottle and still fit an airlock in it. Will that work ok since I don't have a small bung for a wine bottle?

I think I know what you have. Your bung is not solid right? I have some of those and never thought of doing what you say. If it fits sure as long it seals. Go for it !

In the future consider getting the small ones. I do not know if there is a size #. When ordering just ask one to fit a wine bottle.

I checked them out under the Resources heading on the home page and the wine bottle bungs are #2. I figured I better get a couple just to have anyway. When I bought my carboys from this site I got the ones that came with the rubber bung and the airlock. I'll give my idea a shot and we'll see if it works!!!
smiley4.gif

smiley20.gif

One thing, you will never have enough equipment !

The thing is "slowly" start buying. By now I bet I will never use all the airlocks and bungs at once. I did come close laast fall thou.
smiley36.gif

Tepe, I know I am hooked now!!! I am using all the airlocks I have in the house all at once!!!
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back