Fermentation issue

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wanders

Junior
Reaction score
I live in the Sacramento Valley in a hot climate. In the past two years, I've harvested and produced about five gallons of home grown Chardonney. But both years I've had disappointing results, the wine has a baking soda background taste.

A friend believes that the problem is related to fermentation time. Grapes need to be harvested now: end of August. But, outside temps are often in the 100 degree range. As a result, my fermentation is complete within 48 hours.

This year I'm harvesting my first crop from four Syrah vines that I planted four years ago. I'm harvesting now and will end up with abot 12 gallons of wine. Rather than ferment now, I've been advised to freeze the crushed mixture until outdoor temps will stay below 70 degrees, mid-October.

Any thoughts on this idea?

Baking soda flavor?----Did you use potassium or calcium carbonate in this wine to raise the PH?

On fermentation temp---the way we handle this is to be sure we're fermenting whites in an air conditioned space so that we have a cool ferment. If this isn't possible, then the recommendation to freeze the grapes and wait for cooler weather is a GOOD one. That's exactly what I would do.

If freezing the grapes and fermenting at a later date will yield a better controlled temperature situation then that is what you need to do. A full fermentation in 48 hours definitely not what you want.

Best of luck with your harvest and upcoming wine making!

Baking soda flavor?----Did you use potassium or calcium carbonate in this wine to raise the ... ?

No chemical additions. Last two years kept the wine in the garage. No way to bring it in the house without risking a divorce.

Sounds like freezing is a workable idea. Thanks for the input.

Way too hot in the garage to store it there!! Not surprised you had some problems, between the too fast ferment and storage conditions. Wine is like a child--it NEEDS to be in the house, under more controlled temps.

Rapid fermentation will certainly lead to off flavors, especially in a white wine. Personally I prefer 55-60F fermentation and have gotten good results there...fermentation may continue for a couple weeks or more.

Before I had a kegerator to ferment in I too let a batch go warm (accidentally, was out of town) and finish in about 2 days. It was awful and I poured it out.

Baking soda flavor?----Did you use potassium or calcium carbonate in this wine to raise the PH?

On fermentation temp---the way we handle this is to be sure we're fermenting whites in an air conditioned space so that we have a cool ferment. If this isn't possible, then the recommendation to freeze the grapes and wait for cooler weather is a GOOD one. That's exactly what I would do.

This was my first guess as well when baking soda was mentioned - adding pot. bicarb will give the same taste if you don't cold stabilize along with it to drop it out...

You could also try to cool down the wine during fermentation. I take a number of 2 liter soda bottles 3/4 full of frozen water and simply toss one into the tub to cool things down. I have serveal of these bottles in the freezer so I have a constant supply of ice.

Back