Fermentation in the secondary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeC

Reaction score
First off let me qualify my question-it’s regarding a kit that I did NOT purchase from George.
I purchased a Riesling/Muscat blended kit. It arrived about 2-1/2 weeks ago and I put it in the primary-I followed the instructions to a “T”.
In my defense the directions never said to check the SG before racking it into the secondary, but I honestly should have known to do so. It only said to wait 10 days. I’m guessing the fermentation was stuck and when I racked it fermentation took off. I thought it was strange that I didn’t hear it fizzing, but the last Riesling that I did was very quiet during fermentation so I assumed….
It really fermented in the secondary-it overran the airlock and quite a bit soaked into the towel covering the carboy. I’m down about 3 inches or so from where it started in the carboy so it burped quite a bit out the airlock.
I checked the SG tonight-it’s at .091 so if it’s stable tomorrow I’ll rack it into another carboy.
At this point it becomes a bit of an experiment and learning tool.
Will fermenting in the carboy cause issues with the wine? Should I pick up at this point as if it had just finished in the primary? Or would you recommend any special steps?
I suspect the biggest issue I may have is getting it to clear properly but I do have sparkolloid that came with the kit. I’m also willing to purchase anything that may be needed to help.

Of course my next question is-why? I followed the directions-clearly the yeast was good since it took off once it was racked into the carboy. My thoughts were not enough oxygen-but I did open it and check the temperature several times while it was in the primary. Should I have given it a stir? And I will never fail to check the SG again
smiley9.gif

I’ll probably learn more from the mistake than I would have if everything had gone well so I might as well make the best of it.
Thanks for your help!

I dont know if its racking that sometimes makes it crazy like that or
if a stirring will but I have had it really pick up speed a few times.
Do you have it in a warmer place now?

wade said:
I dont know if its racking that sometimes makes it crazy like that or if a stirring will but I have had it really pick up speed a few times. Do you have it in a warmer place now?

The air temp has been a steady 68 degrees. It has been fairly warm here and I've been running the AC.

It's in the basement laundry room. The temperature of the must has been between 68 and 74-which is about what all of my wine in carboys is at.

This is not that uncommon if you rack too early. The whole point of the bucket is to give your yeast plenty of oxygen and the wine, plenty of room. If you wait until the S.G drops to 1.020 or less, you should not have this problem.

Other than a little loss of wine
smiley19.gif
, you should be fine.

Thanks for the help! I'll make sure to be more diligent about checking the SG next time-I tend to take directions a bit to literally sometimes.

I guess I was just used to the step-by-step directions that are included with the kits I've purchased from George so far-they're pretty much idiot proof!

I'm guessing one of two things happened. One possibility is that you didn't stir enough when you mixed the kit with water, and a lot of the sugar stayed concentrated on the bottom, out of contact with the yeast. The other possibility is that the yeast settled too quickly, taking it out of contact with the sugar.

In either case, the racking redistributed everything and, voila!, instant volcano. Either way, no harm done. I'm just glad it didn't happen to me. SWMBO would take one look at the mess and... well, it wouldn't be pretty.
smiley36.gif

Peter

This will sound dumb
smiley9.gif
but...... what is SWMBO ? I think you posted it earlier but I cant remember....(is that bottle empty already....I'll be right back!)

chevyguy65 said:
Peter

This will sound dumb
smiley9.gif
but...... what is SWMBO ? I think you posted it earlier but I cant remember....(is that bottle empty already....I'll be right back!)

She Who Must Be Obeyed.

Otherwise known as "The Warden" around my house!

Chevy, Mike is correct, she is my wonderful wife of 28 1/2 years, Virginia.

Latest posts

Back