Fermentation advice from a newbie

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello again everyone. I'm sitting here tonight with a glass of this white wine and I've got to say for a cheap kit it's tastes really good. Quite smooth and easy drinking. Only bottled a little and the rest is still in the demijohns ageing a little more, but overall for a first attempt it tastes great. Thanks to you all for the advice.
Bought a more expensive red kit today so going to try that next.
Thanks again
Gregg

Hello everyone and thanks for the quick responses. To answer one of the questions I'm fermenting in plastic bucket with a sealed lid and air lock. To be honest the bubbling from the airlock does appear to have reduced although its still happening approximately every thirty seconds.

Just for me to get this right in my head the reading on my hydrometer was 1.010. Should I be looking for the hydrometer to be sinking lower as thus decreasing the reading or should it be rising higher above fluid level?

In relation to the secondary fermentation we will be moving it into a small carboy which will hold just over the 23 litres so yes I will be tight for space if much more fermentation occurs.

Thanks again

Gregg

Gregg, are you correcting your hydrometer readings for temperature? This link is a good one to bookmark: http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/hydrometer.html?16280467

I am making a Mosti Mondale Johannisberg Riesling. I fermented in bucket and did the first rack this week into a carboy. Fermentation was going well but Im getting concerned as the temperatures in my basement have slowely increased due to current heat wave this week. I check the SG today and its 1.010 and the temp is 76 degrees. Im concerned as thsi is my first batch and i dont know if I can make it through the week..We are expecting two more days of high 90 degree weather which is making my basement in the high 70's...is there anything I can do to save my wine? I tasted it and it tastes fine but then again im a newbie and really dont know much.

Hey Boogie, I live in the Phoenix area and I worried about making wine during the summer and dealing with the high temps. My fermenting room is around 80.2 F during the summer months. Everything seems to be working fine. I think the fermentation happens a little sooner than in the 70's but the results are fine. In fact I have a port fermenting and racked it to a carboy. It's still fermenting in the carboy. Very slowly but still doing it. I'm not sure at what high temperature I need to start worrying but we're not there yet. So, don't worry and keep whining....happily of course.

Hello again everyone. I'm sitting here tonight with a glass of this white wine and I've got to say for a cheap kit it's tastes really good. Quite smooth and easy drinking. Only bottled a little and the rest is still in the demijohns ageing a little more, but overall for a first attempt it tastes great. Thanks to you all for the advice.
Bought a more expensive red kit today so going to try that next.
Thanks again
Gregg

Gregg, it's great that you are enjoying your first batch. The ultimate reward! Reading through this post, it seems like you could use a little consistent terminology and process for your next kit. Each kit will have different instructions on when to add things, etc., but think of it this way:

1. Primary fermentation, typically in a bucket, not really concerned with headspace. Lots of CO2 to protect from oxidation.
2. Secondary fermentation, typically in a carboy, more concerned with headspace. Not as much CO2 to protect from a lot of air contact, and keep under airlock
3. Stabilizing, clearing, bulk aging: very concerned with head space. Keep it topped up in a carboy or demijohn, and under airlock.
4. Patience is your friend, and don't get too nervous about "ruining" your wine. It all tends to work out :)

Good luck with the second kit!

Latest posts

Back