Ferm too fast on SP?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PHISHBONE

Reaction score
So, I started my first SP. It went from 1.080 to 1.00 in three days. Is this faster than normal. I've read posts about how difficult it was to get this started. He are my notes.

• Saturday Jan 25: SG1.080 Temp 76. made must per recipe. Letting sit for 24Hr before adding yeast cake.
• Sunday Jan 26: SG 1.080 Temp 76. Made starter EC1118. Added starter to slurry from Batch 2 (blueberry), I was nervous about getting it started. Fired up within 10 minutes, agressively.
• Monday Jan 27: SG 1.030 Temp 82. Added remaining 3 tsp of nutrient, 1 tsp energizer and last bottle of lemon juice.
• Tuesday Jan 28: SG 1.00 Temp 73. Light foam. Turning to a light pink. Tasted really tart.

Has anyone experienced this quick of a ferment? Anything I should expect from a quick ferment?

Thanks Y'all

Shane

As long as the temps were within the temp threshold of the particular yeast, you should be ok. I've found that very "hot" and fast ferments can lead to stressed yeast, which is easily fixed with a little yeast nutrient, but the worst that I've encountered with fruit/country wines with fast/hot fermentations is that they lose some of that nice "fruit forward" appeal, the wine can be stripped of some of its flavor profile.
That said, it seems like you have done your homework, you are taking detailed notes, you are hydrating the yeast making a starter, reusing yeast cakes, using nutrients, all the right things.
I don't really think that you have to worry too much about messing up SP, it is almost a fail proof recipe.
You strike me as a home brewer by the terminology you use: yeast starter, yeast cake and so on, have you brewed?

As long as the temps were within the temp threshold of the particular yeast, you should be ok. I've found that very "hot" and fast ferments can lead to stressed yeast, which is easily fixed with a little yeast nutrient, but the worst that I've encountered with fruit/country wines with fast/hot fermentations is that they lose some of that nice "fruit forward" appeal, the wine can be stripped of some of its flavor profile.
That said, it seems like you have done your homework, you are taking detailed notes, you are hydrating the yeast making a starter, reusing yeast cakes, using nutrients, all the right things.
I don't really think that you have to worry too much about messing up SP, it is almost a fail proof recipe.
You strike me as a home brewer by the terminology you use: yeast starter, yeast cake and so on, have you brewed?

Thanks, Pumpkinman

Never brewed beer. I've studied wine making more than I have made it. I have a handful of kits, 2 batch's of DB and this SP batch under my belt. Very thankful I found this site. I'm hooked!!!

Shane

Latest posts

Back