Feel like a kid on Christmas!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry0220

Reaction score
Today I felt like a kid again, sneaking downstairs to peek in my juice bucket! Like Christmas morning all over again. This is my first juice pail, it is a Reisling. I just got it yesterday and this morning opened it up,,ahhhhh the aroma that greated me,,,,,any way I know it should be balanced, but checked anyway,,,(you know good habit to learn) temp was only at 65f, sg 1.080, ph 3.2 ta 56. Ok looks good to me. The question here is, this is my first juice bucket, any and all comments, tips or advise will be greatly appreciated. After all, I couldn't have done my first fruit wine from scratch without the information I gain from this forum. Thanks!!:db

And you know what? Every wine you start will still feel like Christmas. I would keep the temp down where it is at and let it ferment slow. LuvaBella's uses Lavlin 1118 for their yeast.

Thanks Julie!! It is downstairs in my wine making area (aka, basement bathroom in a porcelain tub) will keep an eye on the temp, shut the door if I need to but it doesn't get too warm there. The storage room temp has been 72 -75. Should I add some yeast nutrient? or energizer?

I don't think you need to. Every bucket so far that I have gotten from Luva Bella's has always had a good strong ferment. And was your bucket pretty full? Both of my buckets are full very close to the brim, I'm going to have to keep a close eye on them. I know I got at least 6 1/2 gallons if not 7

Terry, I know the feeling. I was cleaning up my wine making area today, putting empty bottles away. I saw the brandy bottle from when I fortified my Chocolate Raspberry Port assumed it was empty and was going to put it in the recycle bin and noticed it was full. I took the cap off and sniffed it. It was the extra from the port wine. I ran upstairs to get a wine glass and poured a glass for myself. Laughed at myself because I felt like a kid with a early christmas present.

Terry, I know the feeling. I was cleaning up my wine making area today, putting empty bottles away. I saw the brandy bottle from when I fortified my Chocolate Raspberry Port assumed it was empty and was going to put it in the recycle bin and noticed it was full. I took the cap off and sniffed it. It was the extra from the port wine. I ran upstairs to get a wine glass and poured a glass for myself. Laughed at myself because I felt like a kid with a early christmas present.

Glad I can share the spirit!!:db

I just said to my husband yesterday, I should make a port for my dad, he likes a glass (or two) in the evenings, I think that would be something he would enjoy having. So now I need to figure out how and when,,,:h

Today I felt like a kid again, sneaking downstairs to peek in my juice bucket! Like Christmas morning all over again. This is my first juice pail, it is a Reisling. I just got it yesterday and this morning opened it up,,ahhhhh the aroma that greated me,,,,,any way I know it should be balanced, but checked anyway,,,(you know good habit to learn) temp was only at 65f, sg 1.080, ph 3.2 ta 56. Ok looks good to me. The question here is, this is my first juice bucket, any and all comments, tips or advise will be greatly appreciated. After all, I couldn't have done my first fruit wine from scratch without the information I gain from this forum. Thanks!!:db

Wow, this late in the season I would have expected the SG to have been lower even though the juice is kept cold. Good luck with the buckets, it was good meeting you and your husband on Saturday.

Latest posts

Back