February Wine of the Month Club

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started another WOTM for February. My ADD gets the best of me and I needed something fermenting. Too many ageing carboys.
Going with a spiced apple wine. Kind of took bits of two recipes and then added my own touch, so we will see what happens.
4 cans Old Orchard 100% Apple Juice concentrate
112oz. water
2 1/8c sugar
1/2tsp pectic
1/2tsp energizer
1tsp acid blend
1 crushed campden tablet
In mesh bag: 1 cinammon stick, 2 cloves, 1/2 oz ginger, pinch nutmeg and 1 1/2c somewhat sliced golden raisins

Pitched Red Star Champagne yeast last night.

Sounds interesting Wineforfun! I look forward to hearing about how it goes. I'm contemplating putting more sugar into the Primary for the upteenth time for my blueberry peach port. Right now as it sits it would be at about 18.6% abv. It's sitting at 1.001. The flavour is great heavy blueberry flavour with possibly only a hint of the peach. Not sure if I should still try to bump up the sugar to try to aim for 20% what do you all think? I'd love to try just out of curiosity as I'm getting close to the maximum alc tolerance for yeast. I just don't want to risk losing the nice fruit flavour and making rocket fuel.

If any of you care to give me your feedback I would be much appreciative.

Bah! I couldn't wait... Decided to bump up the sugar again 1.010 to see what happens! Sure would like to see how far this could go!

DJ, wanted to give you a heads up about apple wine, at least those made from concentrates and/or shelf juices. It can develop a rather unpleasant smell. I actually added more meta and airracked a couple times to try to reduce the bad smell. After researching on WMT I read that many folks had smelly apple wine, but the smell does go away and the wine is fine. Just in case, thought I'd mention.

Pam in cinti

DJ, wanted to give you a heads up about apple wine, at least those made from concentrates and/or shelf juices. It can develop a rather unpleasant smell. I actually added more meta and airracked a couple times to try to reduce the bad smell. After researching on WMT I read that many folks had smelly apple wine, but the smell does go away and the wine is fine. Just in case, thought I'd mention.

Pam in cinti

Thanks Pam. I made a apple juice/jalapeno wine that only had a minor smell. This one however, is starting to get a funky smell. It is almost time to move to secondary.

I usually do try to have some patience lol but I figured that if I do want to age this port for a good long time is better up the abv just a tad. That in itself will require some of my patience - aging longer than 5 years lol!

Wow apple/jalepeno? How does that taste? I'm very curious!

I felt that most of the smell seems to come from the sediment. I almost reeled when I stuck my nose in the dregs of the jar from the fridge after I poured the top off to fill up the carboy. I used a combo of shelf juice and concentrates, and was worried I had gotten some outdated shelf juice. I felt a lot better after reading it was common.

I'm with Carolyn. How do you like your apple jalepeno wine? I grow Kung Pao's for hubby but he is very against me ruining wine with hot peppers even tho he loves the KPao's.

Pam in cinti

Bah! My Pink Lady SMELLS!!! Bad.

I've aerated a lot over the last few days, cooled down the must, and have popped in some copper pipe as of tonight. Stinky. Grrr...

Bah! My Pink Lady SMELLS!!! Bad.

I've aerated a lot over the last few days, cooled down the must, and have popped in some copper pipe as of tonight. Stinky. Grrr...

What does the copper pipe do? Keep it cooler?

Lori,

I believe the copper causes some type of chemical reaction that neutralizes the smell.
I could have dreamed up that explaination though...

I usually do try to have some patience lol but I figured that if I do want to age this port for a good long time is better up the abv just a tad. That in itself will require some of my patience - aging longer than 5 years lol!

Wow apple/jalepeno? How does that taste? I'm very curious!

5 yrs. of aging? I would probably be onto a new hobby. :)

The apple/jalapeno is pretty good. One I really like. We have a meadery here in town and they make a mead called "Capsumel". It is a honey wine with 3 different types of peppers in it (I don't recall the exact ones). The wine starts out somewhat sweet and then has some heat on the back end.
That is what I was shooting for with my apple/jalapeno. I got close. If I remember correctly, I used a recipe off Keller's site and tweaked it just a touch (notes are all at home). I had to backsweeten it a bit to get it drinkable, otherwise it was going to have to be marinade due to the heat. The sugar mellowed it out.
I will definitely be making more of it.

Haha! Me too! Well that's why I'm trying to make several different kinds - it can't all age for that long! Just a few bottles but hopefully I would keep making more to build up a small stock. Not giving everything away!

Hmmm well you make it sound good! I never would had thought to try apples and jalepnos. Is it bottled yet or aging?

Hey All,
That's right, it's a sulfur smell - very strong. Not totally into rotten eggs though. More of a burned match smell.
I stirred the heck out of it several times yesterday with the copper pipe, and then ended up leaving it in all night. We'll see how it is today when I get home. I'll try racking a few times and if it doesn't dissipate the wine might be pooched. BOOO!

Trying to figure out if I didn't pay enough attention during early fermentation, if I have a sanitation issue, or what.
Mighty peeved at this point! Also, redulees which are supposed to help, I can't find up here in Canada. This seems to happen to the wines I add citrus to.

*Sigh* crossed fingers for tonight.

Hope it turns out ok... What a waste of time if it didn't. It's probably very unlikely a sanitary issue. So you may be in luck!

Haha! Me too! Well that's why I'm trying to make several different kinds - it can't all age for that long! Just a few bottles but hopefully I would keep making more to build up a small stock. Not giving everything away!

Hmmm well you make it sound good! I never would had thought to try apples and jalepnos. Is it bottled yet or aging?

Bottled. I only made 1 gallon just in case it was a flop. I bottle it into 3 - 750's and 3 - 375's. It has been in the bottles for approx. 2 months. Pretty smooth so far. I will wait another couple of months before I try another.
I am with you though, I give a small amount away and stock away the rest.
I will get another batch going this summer. I only have a rack that holds 144 bottles and it is almost full.

I have found a few recipes that use apple juice as a base and then add fruit, peppers, etc. for the flavoring. If you like a little sweet with a little kick, give it a shot. I haven't tried it yet, but I am thinking a bottle of it with some chips and salsa would be real good.

Hey All,
That's right, it's a sulfur smell - very strong. Not totally into rotten eggs though. More of a burned match smell.
I stirred the heck out of it several times yesterday with the copper pipe, and then ended up leaving it in all night. We'll see how it is today when I get home. I'll try racking a few times and if it doesn't dissipate the wine might be pooched. BOOO!

Trying to figure out if I didn't pay enough attention during early fermentation, if I have a sanitation issue, or what.
Mighty peeved at this point! Also, redulees which are supposed to help, I can't find up here in Canada. This seems to happen to the wines I add citrus to.

*Sigh* crossed fingers for tonight.

Ray,
I have had a couple of batches that have had some sulfur issues. At first notice, I splash racked them back and forth a couple of times. Each batch, I did this for two days. Also, when I was splash racking them, I did it over copper wire. Luckily they both came out of it and worked out in the end.
Hope yours does too.

Latest posts

Back