Other Favorite kit of 2013-2014?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only made 1 kit, Jan 4, 2015, WE Mezza Luna with Marquette skins. It is drinking nicely. It's pretty big for a VR kit.

I did however do a CC Red Mt Cab Aug 2012. WOW. It is nice now.

I've only done 5 kits. I'm about a week away from bottling my WE Selection Tempranillo w/grapeskins. I sampled it a couple days ago. Tastes like there's a lot of potential!

all of the RJS winery series kits (11 red - 2 whtie) i have made are very good. couple eclipse red kits i made are nice as well but a PITA to make. Never learn though since i just bought another Lodi Ranch Cab Sauv. with premium kits and time you definitely get what you pay for. If you not willing to wait till they're ready, dont waist your money IMHO

cheers

all of the RJS winery series kits (11 red - 2 whtie) i have made are very good. couple eclipse red kits i made are nice as well but a PITA to make. Never learn though since i just bought another Lodi Ranch Cab Sauv. with premium kits and time you definitely get what you pay for. If you not willing to wait till they're ready, dont waist your money IMHO

cheers

Why do you find the Eclipse kits harder to make than the RJS winery series kits? Are they harder to degas, or what?
Thanks.

Why do you find the Eclipse kits harder to make than the RJS winery series kits? Are they harder to degas, or what?
Thanks.

The solids they drop in the primary are way more than any other kit line. It makes it harder to rack over to the carboy. I find that you have to move allot more sludge into the secondary. Plugging of the racking cane also becomes an issue. As with most of the grape pack kits i put the rest of the sludge into a bottle to settle and recover some extra that way as well.

cheers

The solids they drop in the primary are way more than any other kit line. It makes it harder to rack over to the carboy. I find that you have to move allot more sludge into the secondary. Plugging of the racking cane also becomes an issue. As with most of the grape pack kits i put the rest of the sludge into a bottle to settle and recover some extra that way as well.

cheers

This has been my experience as well. There are huge amounts of solids in these kits from both primary and secondary. I do the same as @Putterrr .

They make very good wine though.

Grand Cru International Sangiovese was very good. I mixed half of that kit with a Concord wine from backyard grapes (OH THE ACID) and that is even better - no kit taste at all. I am looking forward to the blend, but regret not keeping any of the straight Sangiovese to age and compare.

Another great one was the Cellar Craft Sterling Tempranillo, which unfortunately is no longer available. That was an excellent kit wine.

I have one bottle left of the Winery Series Amarone, which was way too raisin-y (oxidized-tasting) for my taste, but seems like a decent kit. Maybe at 2 years it will now be amazing.

Really, I don't taste much difference between a $120 premium kit, and a $40 kit on sale at the grocery store (if I tweak slightly with more oak and some form of added fruit - elderberries, grapes dried or fresh, etc). The important thing is to age two years, IME.

The CC Showcase Red Mountain Cab has won many awards over the years. My LHBS told me that Cellar Craft lost their contract with the vineyard that supplied the juice, which it the reason it's no longer available. Fortunately, I bought a kit last December and bottled it this past July.

Can anyone comment on the 2013-2014 CC Showcase Chateau du Pays or an alternate company's Chateau du Roi? An article in the August-September Winemaker magazine mentioned this blend as one that a drinker of soft fruity reds, like Pinot Noir, would like. It's currently available at the LHBS I frequent.

I went ahead and bought the Winexpert Selection Vieux http://www.****************.com/vieuxchateau.htmlChateau du Roi 16L kit. It's currently in the primary fermenter and bubbling along nicely.

Latest posts

Back